3.85, 506. Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustRockin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: 3.85 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA, 506 (127/127/127/125) - Plan on retaking in August as I was hitting 510+ on all FLs and think I just had a bad day
ORM, Mountain West Region (Very strong ties to VA, meh ties to NY), traditional student
80 hours shadowing MD, 2 years research with 3 pubs, 200 clinical hours, 150 non-clinical, 1 year TA and tutor experience

For MD: I'm assuming I don't have a chance with my current score, so I hope to get a good score and submit AMCAS (verified 6/2020) by late August.
For DO: What should I do given I don't have shadowing with DOs, but I do have a narrative (have had OMM performed on me, relatives that are DO) - For reference I have my LORs in and my AACOMAS is verified and ready to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UNECOM
You could receive interviews at some MD schools and consider these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Your chances at these schools improve significantly if your new score is 511+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats: 3.85 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA, 506 (127/127/127/125) - Plan on retaking in August as I was hitting 510+ on all FLs and think I just had a bad day
ORM, Mountain West Region (Very strong ties to VA, meh ties to NY), traditional student
80 hours shadowing MD, 2 years research with 3 pubs, 200 clinical hours, 150 non-clinical, 1 year TA and tutor experience

For MD: I'm assuming I don't have a chance with my current score, so I hope to get a good score and submit AMCAS (verified 6/2020) by late August.
For DO: What should I do given I don't have shadowing with DOs, but I do have a narrative (have had OMM performed on me, relatives that are DO) - For reference I have my LORs in and my AACOMAS is verified and ready to go.
I suggest:
U WV
Marshall U
Drexel (maybe)
NYMC (maybe)
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
EVMS
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
EVMS
Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

I'm only commenting because your photo is the weekend. My favorite song rn on Starboy is "True Colors" wbu?

Reactions: 1 user
You could still get into MD with a 506. You would just have to make a smart list and do well in the interviews you get. I know someone who got into Marshall with a similar score, Marshall and WVU May give you love since you have ties to Appalachia.

You should target a 10-point improvement on your MCAT score or else you risk solidifying the validity of your current score.
I got a 503 (128/123/125/127) back in Aug 2018 but just retook (only retake) the MCAT this past July 7 2020 for a 516 (128/128/132/128). I know its a good improvement (especially CARS), but HOW big is my concern.

I have a 3.4 GPA

I got a 503 (128/123/125/127) back in Aug 2018 but just retook (only retake) the MCAT this past July 7 2020 for a 516 (128/128/132/128). I know its a good improvement (especially CARS), but HOW big is my concern.

I have a 3.4 GPA
I think my statement stands. That's a significant improvement. Most retakes result in a 3 point swing (up or down) so 10 should help with MCAT considerations.

Update: Retook and scored 510 (128/127/128/127)

Any suggestions @Faha, @Goro? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Update: Retook and scored 510 (128/127/128/127)

Any suggestions @Faha, @Goro? Your help is greatly appreciated!
OK, I suggest:

Rochester (maybe)
Tufts
Nova MD
U WI
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
Your state school.
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.