3.85 gpa, 29R MCAT, NJ resident

Started by Hopeful21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopeful21

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for taking the time to look at my info:

GPA-3.85
BCPM-3.89
MCAT (5/10/08)- 11 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS, R (29R)
New Jersey Resident
Caucasian
Extracurriculars: international volunteering and local volunteering (ie-hospice), spent one summer researching in neuro. pharmacology (no publication unfortunately), shadowing internship at hospital, other shadowing experiences, four year varsity basketball, taking 2 years off (working in a doctor's office), tutoring

schools applying to: UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, UMDNJ-NJ Med, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Virginia Commonwealth, Univ. of Virginia (reach), George Washington

soo.....what are my chances yall?😳
 
With the exception of UVA, I think you are very well qualified. Try doing a little more research during the summer; I don't think 1 Summer is enough. Although it may not be that important to the schools you're applying to, with the exception of UVA.
 
I wouldn't bother with UVa, though keeping it is not a big deal. You could add: RFUMS, NYMC, Tulane and MCW as well.

Don't worry about the minimal research work. It's not a big deal, except for MD/PhD programs and certain schools (none of which are on your list).

Go ahead and apply this year but consider retaking the MCAT. Your GPA is excellent but the 8 in VR hurts a bit. An extra point in VR and, perhaps, in one of the Science sections could go a long way.

Your chances of getting in somewhere (namely the two NJ schools) are reasonable. That said, the process is competitive and it would not be a big surprise if you did not get in anywhere. An improved MCAT score would be useful if this were to occur. Good luck!
 
I think you've got great chances too. 👍 I'd bet money you'll get into one of your state schools at the very least.

If you're looking for other schools to add, I would check out Loyola if you're open to a Chicago area school. Sounds like you'd be a good match for them. And then there are some great NY schools you could add to stay in that region. But honestly, if you know you'd rather got to a NJ school (and they will be the cheapest options), I think you're fine with what you've got. :luck: