3.85 gpa but an F on the transcript

Started by thegrind33
Tags Tags
applicant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thegrind33

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long story short, just found out I made an F in a one hour pass/fail writing class. My university GPA will drop to a 3.87 from a 3.9 due to this and my amcas/tmdsas gpa will be a 3.85 and BCMPgpa of a 3.85 paired with a 511 mcat. I have had a rough semester (flu twice) and had to drop biochemistry 2 (made an A in biochem 1) and failed this class due to the complications, but I am making an A in the other ten credit hours I am in. How bad will this look on my application?? Plz help lol

Edit: If it does not count towards the amcas gpa then I will have a 3.87 Cgpa (I know no real difference). I have decent/solid ECs btw
 
Last edited:
I had 8 F's on my transcript! There's more to the story obviously, but an F isn't a death sentence. You certainly hurt your chances, but you'll probably be fine. Do well on the MCAT, make sure your ECs are up to par, and go from there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M1i
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say that this would definitely look like an anomaly on your transcript/application. Being that you have great grades in all other classes, and an overall high gpa despite the F, I wouldn't worry *too* much. Most medical school applications have an essay section that allows you to explain away these kind of occurrences. My advice would be to stay focused in all your courses, continue to achieve high grades, and keep the F as the only anomaly in your transcript.
 
Long story short, just found out I made an F in a one hour pass/fail writing class. My university GPA will drop to a 3.87 from a 3.9 due to this and my amcas/tmdsas gpa will be a 3.85 and BCMPgpa of a 3.85 paired with a 511 mcat. I have had a rough semester (flu twice) and had to drop biochemistry 2 (made an A in biochem 1) and failed this class due to the complications, but I am making an A in the other ten credit hours I am in. How bad will this look on my application?? Plz help lol

Edit: If it does not count towards the amcas gpa then I will have a 3.87 Cgpa (I know no real difference). I have decent/solid ECs btw
You'll be fine. But be prepared to talk about these grades at interviews.
 
I had 8 F's on my transcript! There's more to the story obviously, but an F isn't a death sentence. You certainly hurt your chances, but you'll probably be fine. Do well on the MCAT, make sure your ECs are up to par, and go from there.

You had 8 F’s?! Did you apply to med school with the F’s on your application or have them retroactively dropped? If you don’t mind me asking of course. I ask not out of judgement, but only because im in a slightly similar situation!
 
You had 8 F’s?! Did you apply to med school with the F’s on your application or have them retroactively dropped? If you don’t mind me asking of course. I ask not out of judgement, but only because im in a slightly similar situation!

You can't have them dropped. If you took the class, it goes on AMCAS.

I had a lot of As, then a lot of Fs, then a decade-long successful career in another industry, followed by finishing university while still working full-time and rocking the MCAT.

Then I got really, really lucky.