3.8c, 3.7s, 30R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surf613

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 cumulative, 3.7 science, and a 30R on the MCAT. I am graduating a semester early from a top-40 school, with a bio major and two minors. I have really awesome LOR's (my professors and research mentors/physicians showed them to me). I am a NY resident. I have gone on medical missions to foreign 3rd world countries, been a volunteer medic for over 3 years, work as a medical scribe over the summer, used to lifeguard, tutor all different science subjects, have done two research projects, and a whole lot more. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You are a pretty average candidate for MD and an excellent one for DO. MCAT is average/below average, GPA is average/above average and ECs are a little below average. I would work this year on getting some more clinical experience, and target the lower tier MDs (look in MSAR, the ones with MCATs between 30-32). Are you an underrepresented minority?

no i'm not an under-represented minority, although I firmly believe that it should not be a factor. However, I did not include every single EC in my original post. I have shadowed an ER physician, Endocrinologist, cardiologist, pediatrician, and a radiologist, amounting to around 500-600 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
and I have 2 papers submitted for publication

He didnt mention his extensive shadowing and publications on his original post. GPA and ECs look good. MCAT still a tad on the low side, but I think you have a pretty good shot at some MDs. What state are you in?