3.91 GPA, 3.88 sGPA, MCAT 33. HELP SETTING UP SCHOOL LIST!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowflakes96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning to apply next year (2017 entering class) since I want to finish up my undergrad and work more to save up money. Here are my current stats:

UCI undergrad majoring in Chemistry with concetration on Biochemistry
Asian female. SoCal resident. Immigrant, English is my second language (I have been living in U.S. for 7 years). I understand that ESL is not going to give me any advantage.
sGPA: 3.88. Over all GPA: 3.91
MCAT from 2014: 33 (putting me on the 91%tile). PS 12/ VR 9/ BS 12

Inducted member of National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), working on NELA excellence award
Worked as a Chem and Bio tutor at a community college for 1 semester/~40 hours
I have been working as a Pharm Tech in at retail pharmacy for 2.5 years.
Research: ~ 1 yr of Neurochemistry undergrad research, still ongoing and no research publication yet.
MD Shadowing: 2 MDs different specialities at their own clinics, a total of 150 hours. I am planning to shadow a DO as well, would that strengthen my application for MD school?
Volunteer: Therapeutic play program with children: ~100 hours. Local hospital: 80+ hours (still ongoing so I will probably have ~120 hours by next year)
Scholarship: 2-yr Chemistry scholarship

Letter of Recommendation: I can have 1 from my OChem professor, 2 from the MDs I followed, and 1 from my PI. Maybe 1 more about my leadership skills from NSLS chapter president.

What are my chances for MD school in California? And OOS? Can you guys help me to construct a list of schools I should apply to. I am taking DO into consideration as well. I really want to be a doctor!
Every advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm planning to apply next year (2017 entering class) since I want to finish up my undergrad and work more to save up money. Here are my current stats:

UCI undergrad majoring in Chemistry with concetration on Biochemistry
Asian female. SoCal resident. Immigrant, English is my second language (I have been living in U.S. for 7 years). I understand that ESL is not going to give me any advantage.
sGPA: 3.88. Over all GPA: 3.91
MCAT from 2014: 33 (putting me on the 91%tile). PS 12/ VR 9/ BS 12

Inducted member of National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), working on NELA excellence award
Worked as a Chem and Bio tutor at a community college for 1 semester/~40 hours
I have been working as a Pharm Tech in at retail pharmacy for 2.5 years.
Research: ~ 1 yr of Neurochemistry undergrad research, still ongoing and no research publication yet.
MD Shadowing: 2 MDs different specialities at their own clinics, a total of 150 hours. I am planning to shadow a DO as well, would that strengthen my application for MD school?
Volunteer: Therapeutic play program with children: ~100 hours. Local hospital: 80+ hours (still ongoing so I will probably have ~120 hours by next year)
Scholarship: 2-yr Chemistry scholarship

Letter of Recommendation: I can have 1 from my OChem professor, 2 from the MDs I followed, and 1 from my PI. Maybe 1 more about my leadership skills from NSLS chapter president.

What are my chances for MD school in California? And OOS? Can you guys help me to construct a list of schools I should apply to. I am taking DO into consideration as well. I really want to be a doctor!
Every advice is greatly appreciated! :)

I think your MD chances are good. The trick is to apply broadly (20+ schools with median or average MCAT close to yours) with the help of MSAR. If you are planning to apply for the 2017 entering class, you should double check each school to see if they will still accept your 2014 MCAT score. I have similar stats and experiences as you. If you want to apply to DO schools as well, you should remember to get a DO or MD letter of recommendation. And no, shadowing a DO will not likely improve your MD chances. What matters is that you understand what it is like to be a doctor.