3.96 GPA, 524 MCAT Top Tier Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

massivegains(to528)

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think people will tell you to literally apply anywhere you want lol. Nice work on killing that MCAT! Also if you make a school list of places your interested in people can help narrow it down. You're way above the average at every school in the country stats wise, you have your clinical experience and leadership and research. I think you're set. Just work on your personal statement and essays and make sure they're written well.

Also stanford loves research and asks for publications to be listed on their secondary so if you can get one that would help your chances there more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys. I was just worried that my hours were a little lower than is ideal. So about Stanford, that means that I more or less need to make sure I get my pub accepted before secondary apps? Would they (or any other school for that matter) also count it if I had it accepted by the interview so I could talk about it then?

Thanks for the responses guys. I was just worried that my hours were a little lower than is ideal. So about Stanford, that means that I more or less need to make sure I get my pub accepted before secondary apps? Would they (or any other school for that matter) also count it if I had it accepted by the interview so I could talk about it then?

I remember doing the Stanford App, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any love from them because I only had a thesis and a poster presentation in College, and basic science lab work of 2500hrs. They are in my opinion one of the most research heavy, pubs requiring schools, there are. I don't have any other evidence to support this, but I just got that feel from their application alone. I think you'd be okay if you had one accepted, even if it wasn't printed yet tho. You can talk about any research.... that's not the issue. I think the issue is you need a "pub" to get the interview. At the II you can talk about anything, even if its not on your app. My point is, even if your doing some other work that didn't get published, you can still talk about it if you get an II. But I think it won't help you in getting the II at this particular school

If I were you I'd be gunning for UCSF tho, they aren't falling out of the rankings in any foreseeable future (if you care about that), the training facilities are incredible, and last year their 90th percentile MCAT was a 522, which means you'd likely have a good shot at AOA there. I recommend choosing a school for the hospital, not the program itself. Reason being most people will just match into IM, and most often your best chance is your home institution. So if your home institution already has great residency programs... thats a great thing come 4th year.

I wish I considered all these things when I was applying to med school. I went to a high stats school where I'm more or less middle of the pack, and I sometimes wish I'd gone to a slightly less competitive school where I had a better shot at AOA, because some specialties, derm for example, have this attitude of "AOA or GTFO". Also, even tho our medical school is ranked very highly, our hospital itself is not, and it wasn't until late in my M2 that I realized I really wish we had a great hospital as well. We also fell out of the top 10 since I was accepted which I don't really care bout, but some people do. So those are my suggestions based on my med school experience so far.

I guess all these thins are true for Stanford as well- high ranking that isn't moving soon, you'd likely be toward the higher end of the class, and its a great hospital... but I still think UCSF generally is better than Stanford when it comes to most residency programs.

EC seems average tbh but your excellent stats can carry you. Do you have presentation/publication?

I remember doing the Stanford App, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any love from them because I only had a thesis and a poster presentation in College, and basic science lab work of 2500hrs. They are in my opinion one of the most research heavy, pubs requiring schools, there are. I don't have any other evidence to support this, but I just got that feel from their application alone. I think you'd be okay if you had one accepted, even if it wasn't printed yet tho. You can talk about any research.... that's not the issue. I think the issue is you need a "pub" to get the interview. At the II you can talk about anything, even if its not on your app. My point is, even if your doing some other work that didn't get published, you can still talk about it if you get an II. But I think it won't help you in getting the II at this particular school

If I were you I'd be gunning for UCSF tho, they aren't falling out of the rankings in any foreseeable future (if you care about that), the training facilities are incredible, and last year their 90th percentile MCAT was a 522, which means you'd likely have a good shot at AOA there. I recommend choosing a school for the hospital, not the program itself. Reason being most people will just match into IM, and most often your best chance is your home institution. So if your home institution already has great residency programs... thats a great thing come 4th year.

I wish I considered all these things when I was applying to med school. I went to a high stats school where I'm more or less middle of the pack, and I sometimes wish I'd gone to a slightly less competitive school where I had a better shot at AOA, because some specialties, derm for example, have this attitude of "AOA or GTFO". Also, even tho our medical school is ranked very highly, our hospital itself is not, and it wasn't until late in my M2 that I realized I really wish we had a great hospital as well. We also fell out of the top 10 since I was accepted which I don't really care bout, but some people do. So those are my suggestions based on my med school experience so far.

I guess all these thins are true for Stanford as well- high ranking that isn't moving soon, you'd likely be toward the higher end of the class, and its a great hospital... but I still think UCSF generally is better than Stanford when it comes to most residency programs.

Thanks for the insight, these are things that I haven't thought of at all but will definitely look into as I'm evaluating schools. If you don't mind me asking, what about your experience at your med school's hospital has come short of your expectations? And how should I try to look out for those things going forward?

EC seems average tbh but your excellent stats can carry you. Do you have presentation/publication?

I have a (horrible) feeling that you're right. I'm working on getting the presentation and pub in before I apply. I'll have a presentation at my school's undergrad research conference for sure (are these even considered reputable?), and I will likely have a poster at a reputable conference prior to applying. The publication is a little more up in the air. I should at least have an abstract submitted before applying though. I will be first author if it makes any difference.