3.98/513. WAMC. First Time Med School Applicant 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noel0114

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a first time med school applicant (applying majority MD-PhD and some MD only) and wanted to check my stats with you guys compared against the schools I've applied to. It's a little late and I've already submitted some secondaries, but I keep finding myself doubting my stats and convincing myself I won't receive interviews/accpetances.

Stats
MCAT: 513 (86th percentile)
SGPA: 3.99
Amcas GPA: 3.98
Grad GPA (in progress): 4.0
Research Hours: 2877 (One lab for 3.5 years) - Resulted in one third author publication
Volunteer Hours: 350
Shadowing Hours: 120 (40 in a clinic, 80 virtually due to the pandemic)
Leadership: Vice President/Treasurer in one club, Co-founder/Pres of one club, led 2 research projects during my time in lab.

I have a secondary review article under review in an undergraduate journal at my university.
Outside of school, I wrote and published a book of poems earlier this year.

Schools Applied
* indicates an MD only school

Emory
University of Michigan
Penn State
Medical College of Georgia
University of Illinois
Yale*
Rutgers, Piscataway
MUSC
Duke*
University of Central Florida*
University of Connecticut
University of Missouri
Jacobs School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
University of Miami Miller*
George Washington School of Medicine*
Wake Forest*
Morehouse
University of Colorado
Rush Medical College*
Viriginia Commonwealth
University of Alabama
Sidney Kimmel
Tulane
Loyola
University of Minnesota
UNC - Chapel Hill

My main concerns are my volunteer hours, virtual shadowing hours, MCAT for MD-PhD programs, and that I've only been in one lab. I also took a gap year to increase research hours and complete my master's degree.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll definitely get interviews and likely acceptances as well. Could add 10ish schools but don’t think you need to.
I’d recommend
Pitt
Keck
Geisel
Mt Sinai
Albany
UVA
Brown
BU

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have clinical experiences outside of shadowing?
I spent a week triaging/measuring vitals for patients in Honduras a few years back. Volunteering experience in a hospital, but that got cut short due to COVID--got ~35 hours there. I'm also planning to pursue some opportunities between my grad school graduation in December involving shadowing, scribing, or lab tech work until I (hopefully) matriculate next Fall.

You’ll definitely get interviews and likely acceptances as well. Could add 10ish schools but don’t think you need to.
I’d recommend
Pitt
Keck
Geisel
Mt Sinai
Albany
UVA
Brown
BU
I appreciate the confidence in these choices! Do you know their MD-PhD stats? I felt mine were a little low to pursue too many high-ranked schools for MD-PhD/MSTP.

I spent a week triaging/measuring vitals for patients in Honduras a few years back. Volunteering experience in a hospital, but that got cut short due to COVID--got ~35 hours there. I'm also planning to pursue some opportunities between my grad school graduation in December involving shadowing, scribing, or lab tech work until I (hopefully) matriculate next Fall.

Your lack of US based clinical xp may make for an uphill battle this application cycle. If you write and reflect well on your experiences and your motivation for pursuing medicine you may be able to overcome it. Definitely pursue clinical experience this December, but schools will have already reviewed you at that time without it.

I can only speak to MD, but I think you have a decent shot at the programs listed above. What was your undergrad like? That’s an impressive GPA in itself but would definitely be a strong “wow factor” if from an Ivy/USNWR T20 undergrad.

Your lack of US based clinical xp may make for an uphill battle this application cycle. If you write and reflect well on your experiences and your motivation for pursuing medicine you may be able to overcome it. Definitely pursue clinical experience this December, but schools will have already reviewed you at that time without it.
Awesome, thank you for the feedback! I didn't think about US based vs out of the country clinical experiences.

I can only speak to MD, but I think you have a decent shot at the programs listed above. What was your undergrad like? That’s an impressive GPA in itself but would definitely be a strong “wow factor” if from an Ivy/USNWR T20 undergrad.
Undergrad is from a state university, definitely not typically a highly competitive school in terms of medical school applicants.