3.98 518 WAMC / School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonysJourney

Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
3.98 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA. Took 18 units of dual enrollment math in high school (Calc2 + advanced topics, Calc3, differential equations) with 3.31 but have been advised this is not weighted heavily (feel free to weigh in). When factored in I think overall GPA becomes like 3.88.

MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
518 (130/128/130/130), 1st attempt was 510 in 2022

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
CA

Ethnicity and/or race
White, non LGBT, high SES, public schooling entire life. Minimal extended family support, and only 1 person in my entire extended family has gone to college in the generation before me (my parent)

Undergraduate institution or category
t20 public, Neuro major and psychiatry minor

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
About 1000 total. - 820 as a ED scribe in infamously underserved area (10 months, MME). -80 as PP surgery volunteer scribe (1 academic year) - 110 as ED volunteer & covid clinic volunteer (summer + fall)

Research experience and productivity
3000 RN with 2000 more projected as I finish second gap year (5000 total)

-1400 in UG working on basic/translational science about addiction (MME). 5 posters including at largest conference in discipline. One manuscript was finalized last week and looking to be submitted soon, but not going to be accepted before primaries :(. PI is submitting it to journal with IF>15.
-1600+2000 projected working in basic science at NIH. projects related to science behind certain neuro/psychiatric issues. 3 Posters so far and likely more in the future. Nearing completion on 2 projects.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
-80 total, 20 spine surgery and 60 over 5 anesthesia MDs (interacting with plastic surgeons and GI surgeons as well tho).
Non-clinical volunteering
160 total. 110 soup kitchen, 50 running hiking classes for people in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- 2 gap years.
- 1100 leadership hours. -600 as coordinator for a club that provides nutritious meals / teaches cooking and holistic health topics to underserved students (MME, 2 years). Occasionally lead fitness classes. Serve ~60 students each week. -500 hours leading neuroscience journal clubs to students for credits. (3 years)
- Hobbies: ~1500 hours lifting/bodybuilding since senior year highschool. Contemplating doing a bodybuilding show next year. -May add photography as a hobby (newish hobby I really enjoy, few hours).
-375 hours In MD/PhD “accelerator program.” Teaches students how to become better presenters by having you present each week on a scientific question and lead long meetings a couple times/year. Won award as top student as voted by faculty at the end of this.

Relevant honors or awards
More awards than I can fit on primary app. ~$30,000 of research and academic awards. Top poster award, travel grant awards. Nominated by UG for international scholarship. Basically all the honors one can graduate with at my uni. Highest possible mark on senior thesis.

Anything else not listed you think might be important
Narrative: Narrative discussing some adversity, including substance abusing extended family and parent’s suicide. Themes include (other's) behavioral health issues and (lack of) control over one’s life. Also touches upon working with underserved populations and being proactive with health (namely through fitness and research). TLDR is that I want to help people gain control over their lives as seeing so many people both personally and professional struggle to do so. Couple advisors have liked this so far.
-LoRs: I think they're strong. 1 UG PI, 2 STEM, 1 writing, 1 NIH PI, 1 MD. All my recommenders agreed to write me a strong LoR within 1 hour of emailing them. UG PI said I'm one of her best trainees

School List
1715450028311.png

Members don't see this ad.

Note on how I made list:
Many of these schools are competitive but I think adding 35 can help offset this a bit. I’m interested in research-oriented programs, especially in neuroscience/neurosurgery and neuro-adjacent therapeutics. Applying MD, not MDPhD. Other than research, many of my schools are in CA, NYC, Boston, DC and some in Florida as these are the places I'm most interested in living. :)

Good start for an application; the non-clinical hours are a little low but not concerning. See if you can continue the soup kitchen hours.

Only notes I'll give on school list: Your application is lacking enough non-clinical hours to be sufficiently competitive to Georgetown; additionally, unless you have ties to inland empire Riverside might not be a good add.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a CA resident, I wouldn't apply to Stony Brook or SUNY Downstate. They are not OOS-friendly.

your dual enrollment courses will be factored in as normal as if you took them during college just FYI. That will not be a problem for your app tho