3 Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz Shaikh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone i hope you are all doing well. I wanted to ask you guys a question. I was talking to my Chem II prof today and she adviced me not to take 3 science lab courses next semester.
I was planing on taking....
-Principles of Organic Chemistry ( i want some background in it before i take organic chem I)
-General Biology II ( required)
-Anatomy and Physiology I

What are your thoughts? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Mz Shaikh said:
Hello everyone i hope you are all doing well. I wanted to ask you guys a question. I was talking to my Chem II prof today and she adviced me not to take 3 science lab courses next semester.
I was planing on taking....
-Principles of Organic Chemistry ( i want some background in it before i take organic chem I)
-General Biology II ( required)

What are your thoughts? :)
I agree with your advisor. That schedule is insane if all three of those courses also have labs. Take two of those courses, and if you want one more class, take something that is outside the sciences altogether. Some good ones are English (if you don't already have two semesters of it), foreign language, medical ethics, philosophy of science, fine arts, psychology, or sociology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking 3 labs right now... and 3 credits for 10 hours is not cool. Especially since the lab reports take me many hours every week. Labs are the most time consuming rip off there is for science majors. It kinda makes me wish I was a history or philosophy major now.

I did that for a couple quarters with 3 labs at a time... it's brutal but doable if you don't have a lot of other responsibilities/obligations.

Do it. Honestly if you can't handle it then you're probably not cut out for med school.

I personally wouldn't recommend three labs. I'm taking three right now only because one of my summer classes didn't offer the lab simultaneously. I have orgo lab, anatomy lab, and chem II lab Mon, Tue, Wed. I don't recommend it at all.

Overeducated said:
I did that for a couple quarters with 3 labs at a time... it's brutal but doable if you don't have a lot of other responsibilities/obligations.

I agree, did the same myself (Phy, Orgo, and Bio), wasn't a walk in the park but you settle into a groove after awhile and things start running like clockwork... get the groove early though :cool:

At some point you need to take that heavy of a load or more for a semester or two to prove that you can sustain that level of work during med school (if only to prove it to yourself...). This early might not be the best time however.

Currently I'm taking four sci/labs (zoo, genetics, comparative anatomy, org chem I), and though it sucks its not impossible. Depends on what kind of workload you are used to I would imagine. If you haven't had anything like that much before, take two labs now and three later. If you've done two for a semester or two and didn't stuggle too much, maybe consider it but you still have plenty of time to take on these monster semesters.

go for it. ive been taking for the last three semesters.
at my school you get 0 credit for labs even though labs are 4 hours long and math courses have labs.

so suck it up im doing organic, bio, bio, and math this semester. all i do is study but hey im getting by :-D

haha here is real advice: dont do it unless you have to or want to.

echoing some of the previous posters replies im going to say don't do it unless you have to. Last spring I took 5 labs (Gen chem 2, physics2, cell bio, genetics, and animal bio) and it was by far the most stressful 4 months of my life.

Hausdaddy24 said:
echoing some of the previous posters replies im going to say don't do it unless you have to. Last spring I took 5 labs (Gen chem 2, physics2, cell bio, genetics, and animal bio) and it was by far the most stressful 4 months of my life.

Hausdaddy, there is a huge difference between your schedule and one comprised of A&P, Bio II, and Principles of Organic. That schedule isn't bad at all. Do it.

I like having three labs a semester...I'm a biochem major and last year I did cell bio, organic chem, and physics (each with labs) in the fall and then organic chem, physics and genetics in the spring and then this year im doing instrumental chem, physiology, biochem II

three lab classes arent that much work if you plan your time right...do you lab and then write up the lab report, that way you done that day! remember, your the only one that knows how much you can handle...if your second guessing yourself, its probably best if drop one of the classes...confidence is key...if you think you can do it, you probably can!
good luck :luck:

Thank you all in taking the time and responding, it was very helpful. I thought about taking Principles of Organic, Bio II and another non-science related class. But since I already have my bachelor's degree I really don't know what I should be taking. I'm actually pre-dental and not pre-med. I didn't get much of a response from them so i figured i'd ask u pre-meds. I guess what I'll do is go ahead and register for Principles of organic, Bio II, and A&P. I'll take Microbiology over the summer and take Physics I and Organic I in the Fall 06. I'm taking Chem II, Bio I and trig right now and I think I'm doing fine.

Thank you once again ;)

i am taking 4 labs, working 40 hours, and raising a 6 month old daughter (needless to say my grades aren't the best but thats another story). i would give ANYTHING for 3 labs. But yeah the baby organic would just be a waste of time. study another 30 minutes a night.

Mz Shaikh said:
Thank you all in taking the time and responding, it was very helpful. I thought about taking Principles of Organic, Bio II and another non-science related class. But since I already have my bachelor's degree I really don't know what I should be taking. I'm actually pre-dental and not pre-med. I didn't get much of a response from them so i figured i'd ask u pre-meds. I guess what I'll do is go ahead and register for Principles of organic, Bio II, and A&P. I'll take Microbiology over the summer and take Physics I and Organic I in the Fall 06. I'm taking Chem II, Bio I and trig right now and I think I'm doing fine.

Thank you once again ;)

Honestly, if you are taking principles of organic to 'get a background' in it, it is not going to be as helpful as you think...Organic is memorization and then application of the info you memorized. The reactions you will learn in the pre-orgo class wont be very helpful when you take the real deal....unless you are able to retain (in detail) information (equations) a year or so later...

Choosing from your courses, I would take...

General Biology II ( required)
-non-science

or

Organic I (real deal)
General Bio 2
-non-science

As far as 3 labs, it is doable...I am taking inorganic chem, physics 2 and physiology labs and full time courseload. I am totally burned out, but luckily dont have to work this term....if you have other obligations (>20 hours a week work/volunteer/etc...), I wouldnt recommend it.

Hausdaddy24 said:
those labs are entirely different that what the OP is asking. I'd say go for it. I've taken three labs in a semester before - it's not that bad.

How about instead of taking A&P I i do Intro to physics ( i have no background in it)

So that would make.......
Principles of organic chem
general biology II
intro to physics

Thanx

I would be even more hesitant to do physics than I would A&P.

Granted, in the upcoming semester I'm planning on taking:
Bio I w/ lab
Hematology w/ lab
Immunohematology (blood banking) w/ lab
Biochemistry I w/ lab

In addition to a general ed class

If you feel confident in your abilities, then go for it. :) :thumbup: