3 on AP Calculus Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikedavis

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will major in Biology and be on the premed track when I move to college this fall. I have a 3 on the AP Calculus AB exam. I wanted to transfer the credits even though I will take statistics for my premed requirements. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer 3 credits.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if it is possible to transfer 3 credits.

It depends very much on your undergraduate institution. They all change. My requirement was a 4 on AB got you 5 hours, a 4 on BC got you 9. I have heard of colleges being more strict and other colleges being less strict. Additionally, check if you have to do anything past Calculus I for your college; Stats and Calculus I were both required for Pre-Med, but many people did more due to the requirements of their submajor.

As for if you should take it if you can, that also depends. I actually failed my AP credit, and I am glad I retook it at college. My Calculus I was 5 hours, and I received an A, so it was a huge GPA boost. Plus, I was offered a teaching job from it.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends very much on your undergraduate institution. They all change. My requirement was a 4 on AB got you 5 hours, a 4 on BC got you 9. I have heard of colleges being more strict and other colleges being less strict. Additionally, check if you have to do anything past Calculus I for your college; Stats and Calculus I were both required for Pre-Med, but many people did more due to the requirements of their submajor.

As for if you should take it if you can, that also depends. I actually failed my AP credit, and I am glad I retook it at college. My Calculus I was 5 hours, and I received an A, so it was a huge GPA boost. Plus, I was offered a teaching job from it.
Can you please tell me how you studied for the class? It would be helpful if you also tell me how long you studied per day/class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please tell me how you studied for the class? It would be helpful if you also tell me how long you studied per day/class.

I will be honest, Calculus was the least of my worries. If anything, though, that was because homework was constantly due, which made you study. Recommendations for how much I studied for each class is difficult to say, as it changes for every person..

The best advice I have is for difficult classes (for me, Organic or Cell Bio), reread notes taken in class on that day and then write out key terms or concepts. On off days, at the least, do practice problems/quiz yourself. It changes for each class and each person. I had a friend who studied the day before an Organic exam and received 90s on the exams.

Calculus was no reading for me, so if I was having issues, I did practice problems and rewrote key formulas just to really remember them. Before each exam, I would search for practice exams or practice problems on the same topic, and then go for it.

Thank you very much for the in-depth response. I just chose Calculus as one of the class I will take this coming semester.

Do you think 18 credits is a lot to grasp for a freshman student?

Also, if you end up having problems with more general classes (bio, chem, physics, calc, etc.) look if your school has tutoring and/or SI sessions offered through the institution as well as make use of TA/professor office hours

Also, if you end up having problems with more general classes (bio, chem, physics, calc, etc.) look if your school has tutoring and/or SI sessions offered through the institution as well as make use of TA/professor office hours
Will do so. Thank you very much!

This is also hard to say. I think 18 is a lot for your first semester as it is a big change. I went to a college prep school and still had issues adjusting to actual college. I took 16 (14 for credit, out of requirement of my school) and I got a fairly low GPA. 15 or 16 for credit is a safe number.

I think the biggest thing is the number of credits is hard to say matters, but the number of hard credits matters. This past semester, I took 20 hours. In there was Organic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry Lab, and Statistics. These totaled to 9 hard hours. However, I then took a theatre course, a language, and another class with a 4.0 grade distribution. If you take a lot of credits, have at least one or two fun classes. It'll save your sanity.

Thank you very much for the in-depth response. I just chose Calculus as one of the class I will take this coming semester.

Personally it does for me when I consider that at my undergrad, 18 credits was the max you could self-register and it's going to be a completely new environment to adjust to as an incoming freshman. I would err on the safe side and take less classes especially when you're just starting out and have (probably) 4 years ahead to fulfill all your class requirements. But then again, I don't know how hard those classes are, how you take to adjustment, any other relevant situation, etc. etc.

If you're really against taking less classes from the get go, I would at least be very mindful and take full advantage of drop-add week. Look over the syllabi and see how much work assignment/exam wise it's shaping out to be to better temper your expectations.

The Classes I will take are Seminar Course(4 credits), Calculus A(5 credits), Principles of Chemistry(4 credits), Psychology(4 credits), and freshman writing class(1 credit)

The Classes I will take are Seminar Course(4 credits), Calculus A(5 credits), Principles of Chemistry(4 credits), Psychology(4 credits), and freshman writing class(1 credit)

5 credit calc class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

5 credit calc class?

Mine was the same. Calculus I was 5 credits, Calculus II was 4. They justified it as Calculus being a difficult and dense class, so making it more often helped people to grasp the topic.