3 possible undergrad course pathways... which to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc.Holliday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, im in the spring semester of sophomore year, so far ive been knocking off all my essential courses: med school prereqs inc year of math and english etc, and my university's core requirements. My main major is cell/molecular biology, which im a bit ahead with so I only need 3 more classes (though i'll probably take a couple more for fun). at this point I'm halfway to a spanish minor and also halfway to a history minor, and just about have a chem minor. so from now on its totally my choice! yay! and no more chem lab(the source of all evil, at least here)! so ive narrowed it down to 3 possible plans: all include the cell major

1. science route: take more than a few extra bios and go for the chem minor.

2. language route: keep going with spanish (may or may not get a minor, ive lost interest in the language having found a liking for others), and take german and french, go for the minor in history.

3. history route: go for a second major in history, take only french with a couple of spanish classes (no minor).

pro/cons of each...
1.i hate to say it, but its possible that my gpa would be best with option 1, ive gotten good at the mostly science thing, but its a bit monotonous and id like to branch out.
2. i really like languages, but taking so many could turn out to be overly difficult (though grading seems easy for intro language classes). that and i could be missing out of some nice history classes.
3.wouldnt be able to take german (basically german wouldnt be very useful for me, but i still would like to learn it, maybe i could fit in a class or two though i dont know if id get anything out of that. i wont visit the country very often in my life, and dont come across all that many german speakers outside of academia) going for a full major in history might be a bit over the top, im not the humanities type. although i have a deep interest in the subject, im not that good at making As heh.

ignoring my own thoughts, what do you guys think would be the best? for some reason i feel only getting a minor in history would be a detriment to my application. ive been told so many times they look for well rounded student, though taking the languages with the minor is pretty well rounded also, but at just a glance i feel they could be overlooked but with a second major in a humanities it be right in their face "I am well rounded" heh. sorry for the long an slightly incoherent post. im just looking for some superficial opinions. which would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would go the humanities or language route. I majored in history and did the pre-med stuff on the side. I absolutely loved the classes I took and did fairly well with it. So far, I have found it makes my interviews more interesting (especially if you can find a way to spin how the study of history is relevant to practicing medicine). However, it seems no matter where you will end up at med school, Spanish is increasingly important and/or necessary. You won't regret becoming fluent in the language and it will help you when you start practicing. So my advice (and I'm sure others will disagree): Do something different. You will have your whole life to study the sciences but only two more years to explore your other interests.

Do whatever you think you will enjoy the most. I agree with the previous poster... you have so much science to learn in med school, you might as well learn all the languages and history while you can. Nothing you do is going to be "detrimental" to your app (i think you said only minoring in history might be detrimental or something). In fact, maybe you want to double minor in languages and history?

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that minors are overrated. Anyway, don't take the option where you have to take lots of science classes. Expand your mind with humanities courses now while you have the chance :thumbup:

I agree with what the previous posters have said. Take what you'll never be exposed to again during your undergraduate years. If possible, double major in a science and either language or history. Some medical schools actually prefer those with diverse majors--a major other than bio or chem truly allows you to stand out more as an applicant. Good luck on your decision!

I vote for languages. Languages are tough to learn on your own, history you can kind of read up on by yourself in your spare time, and science you'll get plenty of in med school.

I wish I had taken more Spanish in college, finished the Japanese courses, and taken some beginning Italian. Now I don't know when I'll have the chance to do that.

im in the same spot as the opening poster. im graduating community college this semester and transferring to a university for the upcoming summer term. im having a difficult time deciding on a major. my options are to major in humanities and chem minor, or major in forensic chemistry. i like humanties and its a good way to raise my gpa, but what if i dont get in to med schools?? what will i do with a humanities degree?? on the other hand, forensic chemistry is a good back up plan and im VERY interested in this field of study, only one problem, its such a difficult major that i might not be able to improve my gpa or might even hurt it. thus eliminating med schools all together. im going crazy and dont know what to do :eek: .....anyone is welcome to give some opinions.

If you're really interested in it, I think you'll be willing to put forth whatever effort you need to succeed in it. On the other hand, if you're a humanities major and don't see the point of your classes, you might be tempted to blow them off - so it's not guaranteed to net you a higher GPA.

Major in what you're interested in ;)

good point, thanks

well i had basically already ruled out the totally science route, i only posted it b/c it was an option, and just in case anyone had a good argument for it, but it seems the consensus is that taking humanities would be the best addition.

but that still leaves the question... go with the full second major in history, taking very few language classes. OR go with the french, german, spanish minor, and history minor? 1 major vs 2 minors plus 2 languages? what would be better looked upon. at this point im leaning towards the latter choice b/c upper level history courses sometimes can be rather stressful for me, and i will be forced to take a few i am not exactly interested in, whereas with the minor i can pick and choose the really cool stuff, and the languages will be bound to come in handy one day, be it with patients, in travel or during movies heh. yet im slightly scared that minors and just taking several classes in a subject (the french and german) will be overlooked, while a major would surely stand out. so again, 1 major vs 2 minors plus 2 languages? thanks

Doc.Holliday,

Stop worrying so much about what schools will think :) It sounds like minoring in languages and history will make you happier. So that's what you should do. Believe me, interviews are all about showing what you are passionate about. And if you learn a lot and enjoy your minors, you'll be able to project that enthusiasm... and that's what schools want to see. Not: ugh... yeah i have a double major.. but blah... I wish i had taken the cool courses.

And your minors will only be overlooked if you let them be :) Include how your minors are helping you with your future goals on your PS. Join clubs that relate to your minors or go abroad to put your languages to use. There are so many things you can do.

not to beat a dead horse (i think that's the saying..?)

but what everyone says is right on. 5 years from now you'll still have a wealth of science knowledge from medical school, but not too many people in medicine can boast proficiency in languages other than english. it can be an attractive quality to have foreign language background not only for jobs, but in years down the road if you keep with it, being able to speak french, italian, span, etc will be something you can never regret learning

Doc.Holliday said:
so, im in the spring semester of sophomore year, so far ive been knocking off all my essential courses: med school prereqs inc year of math and english etc, and my university's core requirements. My main major is cell/molecular biology, which im a bit ahead with so I only need 3 more classes (though i'll probably take a couple more for fun). at this point I'm halfway to a spanish minor and also halfway to a history minor, and just about have a chem minor. so from now on its totally my choice! yay! and no more chem lab(the source of all evil, at least here)! so ive narrowed it down to 3 possible plans: all include the cell major

1. science route: take more than a few extra bios and go for the chem minor.

2. language route: keep going with spanish (may or may not get a minor, ive lost interest in the language having found a liking for others), and take german and french, go for the minor in history.

3. history route: go for a second major in history, take only french with a couple of spanish classes (no minor).

pro/cons of each...
1.i hate to say it, but its possible that my gpa would be best with option 1, ive gotten good at the mostly science thing, but its a bit monotonous and id like to branch out.
2. i really like languages, but taking so many could turn out to be overly difficult (though grading seems easy for intro language classes). that and i could be missing out of some nice history classes.
3.wouldnt be able to take german (basically german wouldnt be very useful for me, but i still would like to learn it, maybe i could fit in a class or two though i dont know if id get anything out of that. i wont visit the country very often in my life, and dont come across all that many german speakers outside of academia) going for a full major in history might be a bit over the top, im not the humanities type. although i have a deep interest in the subject, im not that good at making As heh.

ignoring my own thoughts, what do you guys think would be the best? for some reason i feel only getting a minor in history would be a detriment to my application. ive been told so many times they look for well rounded student, though taking the languages with the minor is pretty well rounded also, but at just a glance i feel they could be overlooked but with a second major in a humanities it be right in their face "I am well rounded" heh. sorry for the long an slightly incoherent post. im just looking for some superficial opinions. which would you pick?

language---knowing spanish will be of great benefit with seeing patients

youll learn the science you need in med school