3 rejections in one day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know you're going to get a bunch of people responding to your post, but I know how you feel.

Haha, I think I need to take a step away from SDN for a bit. I think I am getting annoyed too easily.

Members don't see this ad.

Humblebrags everywhere up in here.

But for everyone I understand how it feels being rejected from your top school but applying to medical school is like that and there's no guarantee in this game. You can fill all the boxes in AMCAS (High GPA/MCAT, greats ECs) and not get an II while others with lower stats do at the schools you want to go to.

Just focus on getting that first acceptance then be picky when given the chance.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words everyone! After reading through everyone's comments I felt much better and at the same time ashamed of myself for maybe sounding too spoiled or bragging. I wish there's a way I could delete this thread that I started so it'd stop annoynig people...

Anyways, I've been extremely happy with the interviews I have. Like "BundleofHis" said, for the schools I interviewed so far, I was surprised to find myself really liking those schools! thanks for the advice and kind words everyone, and to those who thought I might have been inconsiderate, I also appreciate your thoughts. All of you have made me really think about this again and look on the much brighter side :)

I would like to revise my previous statements. I replied to a post before I got far enough in the thread to read your response. I think that it is good that the quite harsh comments made you have a new perspective.

Be proud of how much you have accomplished. In the long run, a few rejections mean nothing. Clearly there is something schools like about your app so you will be fine.

Everyone needs a good ego check now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try paying for it all from working. And all your tuition, living expenses, and everything.

I think I am just bitter but it really rubs me the wrong way when people take advantage of FAP.

It bothers me when people that get to go to school for free and such are the same people that have never worked and after they work to pay for one component of their life, they feel suddenly superior.

FYI...I am not saying this is you at all..just sharing my thoughts.

How is anyone taking advantage? That's what the program is designed for....its not their fault that their family doesn't have the monetary means to help them with applying?

I know it sucks for those of us who are older and independent and don't receive money from our parents anymore but theres no reason to take out your frustration on people who are within a socioeconomic category that permits them to use FAP.

Its not like its easy to have a family that can't help pay for your apps....

How is anyone taking advantage? That's what the program is designed for....its not their fault that their family doesn't have the monetary means to help them with applying?

I know it sucks for those of us who are older and independent and don't receive money from our parents anymore but theres no reason to take out your frustration on people who are within a socioeconomic category that permits them to use FAP.

The program is there to give everyone a fair chance. Not to give those with less money the ability to apply to a ridiculous amount of schools that anyone paying for it themselves would never realistically be able to afford.

There is no need to apply to that many schools and almost anyone paying for it themselves doesn't do it because it is so unnecessary. I get that you need to apply broadly but I doubt there is any real return once you reach over 25 or 30 schools.

I know how it feels to have a family that can't help...I am one of those.

+1 Well said ChemEngMD

The program is there to give everyone a fair chance. Not to give those with less money the ability to apply to a ridiculous amount of schools that anyone paying for it themselves would never realistically be able to afford.

There is no need to apply to that many schools and almost anyone paying for it themselves doesn't do it because it is so unnecessary. I get that you need to apply broadly but I doubt there is any real return once you reach over 25 or 30 schools.

I know how it feels to have a family that can't help...I am one of those.

So you have FAP?

There is a difference between having a family who CAN'T help and having one who CHOOSES not to help.

I do not qualify for FAP due to my parent's income despite me having been independent for a few years now (in my mid-20s). Yes, it was frustrating to not qualify, but I did what I needed to and took out a loan so I could apply to the schools I needed to.

Would you be equally as mad if some really rich kid paid for apps to 50 schools? Or is strictly FAP applicants that you get mad at for applying so broadly? For the record, I know of a super rich applicant who applied to ~60 schools because he had a weak application and was hoping he could manage to get into at least one of them. I'm not mad about it. You work with what you've got.

So you have FAP?

There is a difference between having a family who CAN'T help and having one who CHOOSES not to help.

I do not qualify for FAP due to my parent's income despite me having been independent for a few years now (in my mid-20s). Yes, it was frustrating to not qualify, but I did what I needed to and took out a loan so I could apply to the schools I needed to.

Would you be equally as mad if some really rich kid paid for apps to 50 schools? Or is strictly FAP applicants that you get mad at for applying so broadly? For the record, I know of a super rich applicant who applied to ~60 schools because he had a weak application and was hoping he could manage to get into at least one of them. I'm not mad about it. You work with what you've got.

It's pretty easy to take advantage of those programs is what I think he's saying. I think that's true of most programs like that.

Paying for my apps was no problem at all. I just asked my friends, Visa, Mastercard, and Amex, for some extra cash! :laugh:

It's pretty easy to take advantage of those programs is what I think he's saying. I think that's true of most programs like that.

What's being taken advantage of?....that they're going to get more IIs because they applied to so many schools? If they are disadvantaged it's not likely that they'd have the funds to travel and interview at 15+ schools...schools aren't paying for FAP applicants plane tickets or hotel rooms.

If they were then I would see a reason to be upset.

In reality their applications are barely a drop in the pool of the thousands of applicants that a school gets. If they land 4 or 5 more IIs because they could afford to apply to more schools cause of FAP then good for them...if they land 30 then they'll have to pick and choose which ones they'll go to...the real $$ comes in when you start travelling for interviews, TRUST me. Interview $$ >>>> Application $$ ...especially if you end up having to fly to >6 interviews

Dear OP,

When you have applied to 40 schools, and haven't had a single interview invitation, and 5 rejections already, then you can come find me for some solace.

Note: we paid for all our apps too- no FAP here- my wife and I have been saving for a long time for this.

What's being taken advantage of?....that they're going to get more IIs because they applied to so many schools? If they are disadvantaged it's not likely that they'd have the funds to travel and interview at 15+ schools...schools aren't paying for FAP applicants plane tickets or hotel rooms.

In reality their applications are barely a drop in the pool of the thousands of applicants that a school gets. If they land 4 or 5 more IIs because they could afford to apply to more schools cause of FAP then good for them...if they land 30 then they'll have to pick and choose which ones they'll go to...the real $$ comes in when you start travelling for interviews, TRUST me. Interview $$ >>>> Application $$ ...especially if you end up having to fly to >6 interviews

So they should do what everyone else does and only apply to schools that are realistic for their scores and that they can interview at. I only applied to schools I can drive to because I know I cannot afford to fly. Why waste your time, the schools time, and the FAP money applying to schools that you can't get to in order to interview anyways? Just because it is free doesn't mean you shouldn't use good judgement when selecting schools.

This is true. Once you've gone to 3-4 interviews you've probably spent more on interviews than you have on applications, unless you applied to less than 20 schools. I'm looking at you, $400 flights to NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
So they should do what everyone else does and only apply to schools that are realistic for their scores and that they can interview at. I only applied to schools I can drive to because I know I cannot afford to fly. Why waste your time, the schools time, and the FAP money applying to schools that you can't get to in order to interview anyways? Just because it is free doesn't mean you shouldn't use good judgement when selecting schools.

So you're totally cool with the inherent advantage that a very wealthy applicant has over those who do not have the luxury of being born into wealth?

I just think it's hypocritical to get mad at people for "taking advantage" of FAP and you aren't mad about a lot of applicants who apply to a lot of schools because their parents can afford to shell out ~$10k on an app cycle.

So you have FAP?

No I do not have FAP. I don't qualify for any financial aid. Which I think is where my bitterness comes from. I see people with aid at my school that get tuition, living expenses, and everything paid for and then have all this money left over that they spend on drugs and nice things that average students would never have the cash for...this frustrates me.

When a rich kid spends that much money applying, I see that that money could be spent better elsewhere...which is my same view with the FAP going towards that many apps/secondaries.

This is true. Once you've gone to 3-4 interviews you've probably spent more on interviews than you have on applications, unless you applied to less than 20 schools. I'm looking at you, $400 flights to NY.

My $600 flight to LA scoffs at your $400 flight to NY :laugh:

So you're totally cool with the inherent advantage that a very wealthy applicant has over those who do not have the luxury of being born into wealth?

I just think it's hypocritical to get mad at people for "taking advantage" of FAP and you aren't mad about a lot of applicants who apply to a lot of schools because their parents can afford to shell out ~$10k on an app cycle.

Wouldn't you be upset if government aid was putting people in mansions instead of apartments, or regular sized houses? Using aid to do something and using one's own money to do something is completely different.

No I do not think it is okay that the rich have an advantage..I think overall the application process is way too expensive and schools are milking money from students.

No. People who need it should use it. People who don't shouldn't. That's all I'm saying. People who are lucky enough to be able to afford it aren't all in or all out. Some people can afford it to a certain point and that point is variable. What I wouldn't do to make it 'even' is only report one of my parent's income to get the FAP or something, but I know people who have done that before.

My $600 flight to LA scoffs at your $400 flight to NY :laugh:

I wouldn't have thought that flights going the other way would be even more expensive :scared:

Paid $780 to fly to madison from california :eek: (short notice from the school = more expensive)

I think it's just based on the size of the airports. It seems like flights to LAX/JFK are way cheaper than flights to airports like Albany International/midwest airports/John Wayne.

No I do not have FAP. I don't qualify for any financial aid. Which I think is where my bitterness comes from. I see people with aid at my school that get tuition, living expenses, and everything paid for and then have all this money left over that they spend on drugs and nice things that average students would never have the cash for...this frustrates me.

When a rich kid spends that much money applying, I see that that money could be spent better elsewhere...which is my same view with the FAP going towards that many apps/secondaries.

Wouldn't you be upset if government aid was putting people in mansions instead of apartments, or regular sized houses? Using aid to do something and using one's own money to do something is completely different.

No I do not think it is okay that the rich have an advantage..I think overall the application process is way too expensive and schools are milking money from students.

You're talking to the guy with a Malcolm X avatar over here...:laugh:

I have 0 problem with government aid helping kids who come from lower economic means.

I was like you when I was an undergrad and fell into that middle category where my family made too much $$ for me to get financial aid but not enough to pay for my schooling...likely the same thing will happen when I fill out FAFSA for medical school.

Would I trade in the comforts of having a parent that made this amount of money for the difficulties that someone who comes from a family that qualifies for full financial aid? NOPE.

I recognize and can relate (through family members and close friends) the struggle of going into higher education when your family doesn't have the economic means to help you, or perhaps doesn't understand the process of higher education, because you are the first in your family to go.

I think it's very easy to simply look at people with full financial aid rides or FAP and say, "they're taking advantage of the system." But the reality is that they are trying to break the system and elevate their futures through education so that their children won't qualify for FAP and financial aid. Then their kids will be sitting in yours and mine's shoes and can either choose to see it from my POV and shrug their shoulders and understand why the system works this way or from your POV and be bitter about it.

Should lower SES students be forced to live a lesser lifestyle than their peers who are higher SES? The kids I know who spent the most $$ on drugs definitely were the rich kids :laugh:

I think it's just based on the size of the airports. It seems like flights to LAX/JFK are way cheaper than flights to airports like Albany International/midwest airports/John Wayne.

Yep, you are also correct (driving from milwaukee/chicago wouldve saved $200) :p, but it's also a mix of both situations. If the interview I had was the week after mine, I would've saved another $200 on the ticket xD.

Yep, you are also correct (driving from milwaukee/chicago wouldve saved $200) :p, but it's also a mix of both situations. If the interview I had was the week after mine, I would've saved another $200 on the ticket xD.

I feel your pain. I had to reschedule one of mine for a week later just because I couldn't afford the plane ticket :oops:

You're talking to the guy with a Malcolm X avatar over here...:laugh:

I have 0 problem with government aid helping kids who come from lower economic means.

I was like you when I was an undergrad and fell into that middle category where my family made too much $$ for me to get financial aid but not enough to pay for my schooling...likely the same thing will happen when I fill out FAFSA for medical school.

Would I trade in the comforts of having a parent that made this amount of money for the difficulties that someone who comes from a family that qualifies for full financial aid? NOPE.

I recognize and can relate (through family members and close friends) the struggle of going into higher education when your family doesn't have the economic means to help you, or perhaps doesn't understand the process of higher education, because you are the first in your family to go.

I think it's very easy to simply look at people with full financial aid rides or FAP and say, "they're taking advantage of the system." But the reality is that they are trying to break the system and elevate their futures through education so that their children won't qualify for FAP and financial aid. Then their kids will be sitting in yours and mine's shoes and can either choose to see it from my POV and shrug their shoulders or from your POV and be bitter about it.

Should lower SES students be forced to live a lesser lifestyle than their peers who are higher SES? The kids I know who spent the most $$ on drugs definitely were the rich kids :laugh:

I completely respect your opinion but I would prefer if you didn't make assumptions about me or my family.

I think you are taking what I am saying and spinning it to the extreme. Of course I have no problem with the government helping those that deserve it. However, I am not okay with people cheating to get FAP status and students who don't realize the point of FAP and abuse the system.

I completely respect your opinion but I would prefer if you didn't make assumptions about me or my family.

I think you are taking what I am saying and spinning it to the extreme. Of course I have no problem with the government helping those that deserve it. However, I am not okay with people cheating to get FAP status and students who don't realize the point of FAP and abuse the system.

You can cheat to get FAP? Yo....why didn't anyone tell me?? I could have used it!

As for you and your family....obviously I have no idea who you are or where you come from...but considering your bitterness towards lower SES people who qualify for financial aid, I figured it was safe to assume that you were either middle or upper class. My bad!

I wouldn't have thought that flights going the other way would be even more expensive :scared:

Yeah man...it's crazy expensive. If you can get to a major regional airport it may be easier and cheaper, but I will be going on my third and fourth flying interviews next week and for all 4 interviews I've racked up about ~$1500 in plane tickets...pretty absurd. I really will only be able to make one additional trip to Cali...so I'm pushing my UCSD interview so I can maybe match it up with a UCLA or UCSF interview :laugh: :xf: here's to wishing

You can cheat to get FAP? Yo....why didn't anyone tell me?? I could have used it!

As for you and your family....obviously I have no idea who you are or where you come from...but considering your bitterness towards lower SES people who qualify for financial aid, I figured it was safe to assume that you were either middle or upper class. My bad!

I am only bitter toward those who abuse the system. I think its time to end this discussion now though.

I am only bitter toward those who abuse the system. I think its time to end this discussion now though.

We just have very different views on what "abusing the system" entails. I'm more worried about corporations gaming the tax system in order to make billions, while others are worried about low SES students getting financial assistance with their medical school applications. To each their own.

I bid you good evening.

graceful_bow.gif

I am not impressed.

Well, I definitely won't lose sleep over that considering my intent was not to try to impress anyone. I was merely putting my decision to apply to 40+ schools into context in response to being referred to as "bat**** crazy."

I step away from this conversation for a few measly hours and happen upon an age old debate re: FAP. Not trying to be offensive here, but why waste your time getting in an Internet debate when you could be finishing more secondaries, doing a few more volunteer hours, or working to save more money? Or heck, go on a run and do something productive to get that frustration out. Whining about the perceived unfair advantages won't help you get into medical school. It honestly just reflects poorly on the complainer.

With that said, I am extremely grateful to have FAP and to those who can convey genuine empathy for the SES disadvantaged population.

I'd be interested if anybody could produce any data or evidence about all this apparently rampant abuse of FAP.

FAP would be great if I got it. Since I can barely afford living expenses and tuition, much less applying to more than a handful of schools after shelling out for the MCAT, I'll just wish I'd qualified.

Ironically, if I don't get an acceptance this cycle, I'll qualify for FAP next summer. Even though I'll be better off financially since I'll be working full time...

I think it's very easy to simply look at people with full financial aid rides or FAP and say, "they're taking advantage of the system." But the reality is that they are trying to break the system and elevate their futures through education so that their children won't qualify for FAP and financial aid. Then their kids will be sitting in yours and mine's shoes and can either choose to see it from my POV and shrug their shoulders and understand why the system works this way or from your POV and be bitter about it.

This is really well said

We just have very different views on what "abusing the system" entails. I'm more worried about corporations gaming the tax system in order to make billions, while others are worried about low SES students getting financial assistance with their medical school applications. To each their own.

I bid you good evening.

graceful_bow.gif

Classy.

I applied to 40 schools

Got interviews from 8

Done 2 interviews, 6 more to go.

However, I just got 3 rejections just today... 2 of which were my top choices....

I feel really disappointed right now and i really don't feel like upto prepping for my upcoming interviews..
I would rather get rejected from ALL the schools from which I will be rejected and have one or two bad days than have it drawn out. Tear off the Band-aid and be thankful for your EIGHT interview invitations.