3 science classes in a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pow123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think 3 science classes is a bit too much for a semester? I know it would be great preparation for medical school since the course load there is heavy in the science, but I am afraid of my GPA suffering. I would be taking physics with lab, biochemistry with lab, and the third would be a molecular biology lecture with no lab component. I would also have 2 core classes on top of it. Does this sound like a good idea or is it too much? The most science I ever took so far was 2 classes a semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think 3 science classes is a bit too much for a semester? I know it would be great preparation for medical school since the course load there is heavy in the science, but I am afraid of my GPA suffering. I would be taking physics with lab, biochemistry with lab, and the third would be a molecular biology lecture with no lab component. I would also have 2 core classes on top of it. Does this sound like a good idea or is it too much? The most science I ever took so far was 2 classes a semester.

Do what you think you can handle and still pull off a good GPA. If you're unsure, stray on the safe side and drop one of those out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it's personal (depending on your capacities and experience), but at my institution three science classes + 3 gen ed classes per semester is the norm, so I don't really get the fuss here.

Doesn't sound too bad
Physics isnt difficult. Everything is really just one concept (F=ma), If you understand that, the rest is just learning how to do the different types of questions and then plug and chug

Biochemistry gets **** on a lot but it really isnt bad. Biochem 1 is glycolysis and krebs cycles so a lot of memorizing the enzymes and intermediates and structures. Sounds more difficult than it really is, it's actually really intuitive and all makes sense if u get the big picture

Lab classes aren't hard, just really long session once a week

Totally doable ezpz imo

Might be hard if the core classes have tons of novels / essays...

physics, genetics and organic in the same semester was my lowest semester GPA in all of college

Thanks for the responses. At my school the norm is usually 2 science classes and 3 core classes for a total of 5 classes a semester. I could always take the 3 science classes and drop a core class.

I haven't taken a non-science class in almost a year. I find science classes way easier than any class that involves writing, though.

If you feel you can do it, then go for it. Does you school allow you to drop a class before a certain date without it incurring a W (usually in the first week or so)? Does one of the classes not fill up fast? You can probably test run the three class for 1 week to see how the work load is.

Probably the most crazy semester I had was pulling 2 Adv Chem classes w/ lab, then Astrophysics and 2 upper div humanities class but it's managable if you have good study habits.

I took 3 science classes last semester (physics, bio 2, gen chem 2), all with labs. I managed to get 3.57 (lowest so far), but it could have been higher if the final was even remotely related to what the past exams. Professors have told me not to take more than 14 units of any science and math classes or 3 science/math lectures in one semester. My advice is that if you decide to continue with this schedule, you should learn how to manage your time wisely. Devote a special time where you only study for one class. That worked for me.

My last three years of college were almost entirely science classes (had to take a year of foreign language and 2 PE classes to meet gen ed. requirements but that was all the non-science I took). I didn't have any problem with it. Most science classes aren't too bad, it's just a few that you have to be careful about combining. You should have a good idea of which classes at your college are notorious GPA killers, so just avoid lumping those together.

If you have been doing well with three science classes before then do it. It is also depending on whether the classes to took before were upper division or lower division. I believe (disclaimer: only pre med so forgive my ignorance) that AdComs will want to see if you can handle the rigors of taking science courses because in medical school you will probably be taking 6-7 courses in one semester and they will be the most intensive courses of your life. If I personally was part of an AdCom and saw that you were taking only 2 science courses, and upon interview (if you get one, no offense) you explain it was because you were unsure that you could handle three would really send a red flag.

If you can, take three science courses, drop a core class perhaps?

You got this :)
:thumbup:

Science classes are generally manageable depending on whether or not they have lab components. I'd say you'll be fine since it's 2 science courses with a lab, and 1 course with just a lecture component. But my opinion would change if you were taking 3 science courses with lab components. Labs take a good deal of time to do, and having too many impedes your availability to attend professors' office hours outside of class for any help that you'd need in understanding a subject, which may in turn affect your grade and GPA.

I have been taking 3 Science/Math courses every quarter since my Freshman year. It is definitely doable. After a while, concepts begin to overlap and every science class seems to mesh together. This makes it slightly helpful/easier later on.

Doable but not ideal. It's better to spread it out if you can. Whatever maximizes your gpa.

I don't think that would be a problem at all, but it depends on the person. I excel in science classes and struggle in non-sciences. I took majority science classes most semesters. If you think it's not your cup of tea, then don't do it. I think you know yourself better than we do.

It really does depend on the person.

I've taken 3 sciences, 2 science labs, and 1 writing in one semester. I pulled off As but I was CONSTANTLY working. So if you're motivated enough you can do it.

My first semester I did 17 hours of math and science (bio 2, cell bio, genetics, physics I w/lab, and cal II). I managed a 4.0 and still had time for hanging out with my friends and attending every football game (Roll Tide!!). However, I will say that my sleep suffered and it's not something I would recommend doing every semester. Really, you've got to know yourself and know how hard the classes will be for you. Talk to friends and check out ratemyprofessor to see what you're getting in to and drop it if you don't think you can handle it.