3 Science Classes + July MCAT Doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherJD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'd really appreciate some advice regarding whether you think 3 science courses (only 2 would be with lab because the other lab I can take during my lag year) along with 15-20 hours of volunteering is doable.

If I do this, I will be able to take a mid-July MCAT (good idea?) and save myself an extra year. I know June MCAT is the most ideal but a mid-July MCAT shouldn't make that much of a difference...or does it? Would I be able to retain the information better for the test because I just took 3 science courses or is this too rushed for me to have enough time to study?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much again!

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing any other information, such as have you already taken these classes in undergrad, I would say not doable. Well, let me rephrase that: highly doubtful you could do well on all of it.

Do you have a family? If so, it can be tough to find the large chunks of time you need for practice tests. Figure you need at least 4 hours to take a practice test, plust 1/2 hour to eat and let your brain relax, then at least 2 hours to go over every answer and make sure you understand why you got it right or wrong. That's 6.5 hours minimum, and it's best to review the practice test right after you take it.

Plus, labs are huge time suckers. Are the lectures recorded so you don't have to go to class? If you are not working, it might be doable, but I would see about taking classes with lab during the year. Summer classes are super condensed and fast-paced, so there's not time to get behind b/c you need to study for the MCAT.

I assume you're asking about July of next year and not this month?

Forgot to add next to taking practice tests and reviewing answers, taking your time to geniunely know the material from your science classes is the next best preparation. So, don't rush through the classes just to get them done. Take time to really unerstand the material, then download the MCAT material outline and fill in the stuff you don't already know.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is doable, provided you can be extremely disciplined. I took three science courses with labs, worked 6-8 hrs/wk, shadowed 3-4 hrs/wk and volunteered 4 hrs/shift every other week, and studied 20-30 hrs/wk for the MCAT, which did include a practice test and review every Saturday. I managed a 4.00 that semester and did well on the MCAT, I even slept 6-7 hrs/night and worked out three times a week -

But otherwise, I had very little social life, other than a couple of hours every other week. I saw my partner for half an hour over dinner, then half an hour before bed every day for the entire semester.

If you can be very disciplined about your time and study habits, then three science courses (with two labs), 15-20 hrs of volunteering, and 20-30 hrs/wk of MCAT study should definitely be doable. Unpleasant, but doable. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and keep reminding yourself that it's only for one semester!

Hi!

I'd really appreciate some advice regarding whether you think 3 science courses (only 2 would be with lab because the other lab I can take during my lag year) along with 15-20 hours of volunteering is doable.

If I do this, I will be able to take a mid-July MCAT (good idea?) and save myself an extra year. I know June MCAT is the most ideal but a mid-July MCAT shouldn't make that much of a difference...or does it? Would I be able to retain the information better for the test because I just took 3 science courses or is this too rushed for me to have enough time to study?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your inputs! Much appreciated. Good to know the pros/cons of doing it this way and especially good to hear from someone who has done it before.

No family, no work, just volunteering and research. And yes, I'm asking about July of next year. It seems doable but really tough...wonder if it's wise to do a 3 week add/drop etc to see how it goes.

Hi!

I know many on here don't agree with my method of attacking this whole thing, but I'll throw out what I did as a reference point. I am not saying this is best for everyone - I am an introvert married to an introvert; I'm happy for my social life to consist of home/school/work. My husband is a saint. I am a good test taker and a pretty low-stress person. That being said...

1999-2001
- Gen Chem I, O Chem I, Physics I&II, Biology I (w/o lab)

Fall 2010
- O Chem I (w/o Lab), 9 other easy-ish credits [4.0 GPA, 12 credits].
- PR Online review class.
- Worked full time (40+ hrs), volunteered ~2 hours week, 2 small kids.

Spring 2011
- O Chem II (w/o Lab), Biology II (w/ lab), Cell Biology (w/o lab), 3 easy credits [3.9, 13 credits].
- MCAT in March - 34Q.
- Worked full time (40+ hrs), volunteered ~2 hours week, still had the 2 small kids.

Essentially, I would've killed for your schedule. ;)

One other thing; I may not be the best one to judge this, but July MCAT means your app won't be under consideration at schools until August at the earliest. This isn't late per se, but it's not all that early, either, especially for rolling admissions schools.

On the other hand, I've been reading bits here and there on the forum about schools moving toward averaging MCAT attempts, so you really do want to give your first one as good a chance of success as possible, so don't rush it if you're not ready.

Thanks for all the great info! Wow, you're really hardcore! Big kudos to doing all that while having kids - really impressive.

PostHaste: In a not-as-related note, I'm curious what the top few things you found that contributed to you having the physical energy to sustain that schedule. Been trying to look for something on top of healthy eating/exercise for sustained energy. Thanks!

PostHaste: In a not-as-related note, I'm curious what the top few things you found that contributed to you having the physical energy to sustain that schedule. Been trying to look for something on top of healthy eating/exercise for sustained energy. Thanks!

Hahahahaha! Um... Beer and cheese? Sheer willpower? Last night was the first time I've been on the treadmill in months, funny enough. Exercise definitely took a back seat in this whole adventure.

Also, there are plenty of people who do more than what I did. I didn't mean that as "hey, look ay me!!!" I just wanted to let you know it's possible, if mildly unpleasant.

I'm definitely in the same boat sometimes. Very admirable what you're doing!

Hi!

2 science classes both with lab.
40 hour work week
10 hours volunteering
33Q MCAT.

Yes, it's do-able.