3 vs 4 years?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by prominence, Mar 20, 2004.

1. prominence

prominence Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    are most psych programs 4 years long?

or do you have to apply seperately for both a preliminary medicine year and then a 3 year psych program? (i.e. like anesthesiology or radiology)

2. willow212

willow212 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

All the psychiatry programs I know of are 4-year programs, where the internship (which includes variable months of medicine, neuro, and psychiatry) is all included in the categorical application. You don't need to apply to a prelim year. This used to be different in the past, and some places did have a prelim year, but currently, I don't know any programs where you need a prelim year.

Of course, if you have already done a year of internship (in another specialty, for example), you can apply for a PGY-2 advanced spot available at some programs where you would complete the last three years of adult psychiatry. This is mostly for people who switch between programs or from other specialties (not what you would apply for directly out of med school).

If you apply to a combined adult/child psychiatry track, at many schools, you match for a 5-year categorical program (at most places, this includes peds internship and 2 years of child fellowship, so you do not complete the fourth year of adult psych residency).

3. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is it not true that many programs allow one to pursue a fellowship during the fourth year?

4. hurt

hurt Nor Cal Psych R2
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only fellowship that one is allowed to pursue in PGY-4 is child, all other fellowships start in PGY-5.

5. prominence

prominence Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you apply thru ERAS, is this combined adult/child psychiatry 5 year track an option?

6. willow212

willow212 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I think it is an option on ERAS. I know for sure it is an option on NRMP when you list your rank order list for the match, for the programs that offer a child track.

7. sirvandy

sirvandy Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone have info about the average yearly earnings and hours per week for psychiatrists? would it be possible for one to work only 40-45 hours per week? if so, what would he/she earn then?

8. leaf

leaf Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know of any program that requires a prelim year and then 3 years of psych, but I did hear of about three psych residencies (all at good programs, BTW) that offered a few slots for people who wanted to match for a prelim medicine year at one place and a PGY-2 position at a psych program in this year's match. It only amounted to less than a dozen slots in all, and at all of these programs, the majority of the positions were for people matching for the full four years. I'm not sure how many of these programs will keep offering this prelim year option; I bet that at least one program will get rid of it next year, as so few psych applicants are applying for prelim programs and therefore the pool of applicants to choose from for these slots would be smaller.