3 weeks, give me a break...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leverage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What takes the NRMP so long to run the match algorithm???

Does anyone have insight or entertaining theories???

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that the actual program runs in under 30 minutes.

Why do they take so long? Same reason gas prices are so high: because they can.

Probably to justify charging applicants and programs what they do.

I can just imagine them saying, 'Stand back people, we've got a $125 computer program here that's going to settle this in 30 minutes. Now, each of you give us $40.' Probably wouldn't go over too well. On the other hand, tell us that it's going to take 3 weeks to 'work this mess out' and suddenly they're doing us a favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it takes 6 hours to run and they run it 3 times. Then again, I have no idea how accurate that is.

Just think though, you're probably already matched, you just don't know it yet.

Validation. Check, re-check, then check again. If they screw this up, heads will surely roll.

-copro

This is on the NRMP website under FAQ's:

Why does it take three weeks from rank order list deadline to Match Day?

During that time, NRMP takes a number of major steps to assure the accuracy of both the Match and the subsequent release of Match information. Those steps include:
  • Checking the integrity and completeness of the data.
  • Transferring the data to the algorithm module, checking it again, and running the Match.
  • Verifying the results of the Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases.
  • Creating more than 60,000 individual reports for applicants, programs, and schools, and assuring confidentiality of the information. The reports are then posted to the Web in accordance with the Match Results schedule.
  • In addition, time is allotted for unmatched applicants and unfilled programs to make decisions before Match Day.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#13

hmmm that all makes sense besides the last bullet point since they don't tell programs or applicants until march 17th what is going on

This is on the NRMP website under FAQ's:

Why does it take three weeks from rank order list deadline to Match Day?

During that time, NRMP takes a number of major steps to assure the accuracy of both the Match and the subsequent release of Match information. Those steps include:
  • Checking the integrity and completeness of the data.
  • Transferring the data to the algorithm module, checking it again, and running the Match.
  • Verifying the results of the Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases.
  • Creating more than 60,000 individual reports for applicants, programs, and schools, and assuring confidentiality of the information. The reports are then posted to the Web in accordance with the Match Results schedule.
  • In addition, time is allotted for unmatched applicants and unfilled programs to make decisions before Match Day.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#13

so, i had heard from a friend of a friend of a homeless guy many years back a story that probably doesn't apply in this situation, but i'll share anyway:

on nuclear submarines they have crazy advanced navigational systems (sorta like the ones you have in your car, but not) that costs hundreds of millions of dollars. so, the captain wants to change course and they put it in the nav system to get the directions. however, after they do that, someone breaks out an map (underwater map? i don't know) and does the whole thing by hand, too.

i figure it's a lot like that. instead of crashing a billion dollar sub into a rock, the nrmp would get slammed by a billion dollar lawsuit if we all matched into peds instead of gas. so, they probably check and re-check...and check again for another week.

19 more days to theorize...

don't know if its true but i heard it actually takes the computer 7 minutes to run the whole match and then they recheck it by hand and thats what takes 3 weeks....

Some of these theories sound a little "urban-legendish" to me.

Amyl, I have heard from several sources that it takes about 7-20 minutes to run the match. I think that part is correct.

I very sincerely doubt they are "hand-checking" the entire match. The number of man-hours it would take would probably not even fit in to 3 months, much less 3 weeks, and where would they hire the people from to do that? There are certainly not that many people employed by the NRMP.

Having had some experience with things like this on the national level, I know that you build time in to account for any unforseeable circumstances. You have to be sure you can deliver on the date that you promise, or else be preapred (as so many have correctly and eloquently stated previously) for heads to roll.

I would guess they never (or rarely) need to use the extra time, but since SO MANY people's schedules depend on finding out Match results by March 20th, there has to be some sort of margin for error in case something goes horribly wrong.

I very sincerely doubt Amyl was serious about them checking it by hand.

-- inside joke to someone i met on the interview trail who lurks but doesn't post.
;-)

They do it because that's how long they had to wait to find out their results 20 years ago. You know, back in the days when they worked 200 hrs a week, got paid $3 a day and walked uphill to and from the hospital barefoot in the snow.

hmmm that all makes sense besides the last bullet point since they don't tell programs or applicants until march 17th what is going on

I was thinking they should change all that and make it interesting. They should send you an email almost every day to give you the information that makes you one step closer to knowing where you matched. Keep the information rolling but don't let you know for sure until 17th/20th.

Example

Day 1: Everyone submits ROL
Day 2: Email saying they received your ROL and are looking forward to matching you.
Day 3. Email telling you how many people applied for your speciality
Day 4: Email telling you the break down in your speciality by DO, US MD, Foreign MD etc.
Day 5: Email telling you how many people ranked each program you applied to.
Day 6: Email telling you how people ranked your ROL programs. e.g. how many ranked the programs 1,2,3 etc
Day 7: Email telling you the stats for each person per Day 5 email
Day 8: Email telling you the stats for each person per Day 6 email.
Day 10: Email telling you whether you matched or not. The scramble is too short anyway.
Day 11: Email telling you how many programs ranked you number 1
Day 12: Email telling you if you ranked in states A-M or N-Z
Day 13: Email telling you if you ranked in states A-F G-M N-R S-Z
Day 14: Email telling you if you got your first choice
Day 15: Email telling you if you got a categorical or advanced position
Day 16: Email telling you if you matched at a PGY1
Day 17: Email telling you the first letter of the state you matched
Day 18: Email telling you the first letter of the city you matched
Day 19: Email: Full disclosure
Day 21: Match Day

At the AAMC meeting this year the NRMP went through parts of the process ....

A huge part is getting all the servers online (they switch most of the AAMC,AMCAS,ERAS,MCAT servers over to the NRMP) - dont u love tech support?

Then they run last years match to make sure the program is running appropriately (ie 100% same results as last year)

Then they run the actual match program - yes they said this part is only 7 mins

Then the double checking and finally all the reports

Again - dont know how much time all the tech stuff takes but that is where they put most of the blame of the timing