3 Weeks Until the DAT - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

likepara

likepara
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about 3 weeks out from my DAT and starting to have the most anxiety...
My Bio and QR scores are the ones that really need the most work (averaging like a 17-18 there)... any advice?

I'm finding that my biggest problem is that I am going through the test very quickly and not proof reading my answers correctly so I mess up on stupid things that I should have known.

If I do badly on the DAT - should I still submit my application and then retake it? Will schools consider an updated DAT score 90 days later on an application?
I'm a non-traditional applicant (Spent 5 years in the military after college, and then 1 year after working on all my post-bac prereqs to apply to dental school)
I don't want to miss out on this cycle, but I am afraid that my application will not be considered with DAT scores that low. I have a 3.7 GPA.

Any advice is appreciated!! :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think 3 weeks is plenty of time for improvement. If you put in the hours each day, focusing on those two sections that you feel weakest on, I'll bet you'll see a ton of improvement! I think it'd be most useful to spend time doing material review Instead of taking more practice tests. Especially when it comes to bio- its not about working through any problems... either you know it or you don't!
It sounds like you're conscious of your weak points (answering too quickly), so just stay cognizant of that on the big day, and you should be fine!

I'm finding that my biggest problem is that I am going through the test very quickly and not proof reading my answers correctly so I mess up on stupid things that I should have known.

You will be completely in the zone on test day. If you've prepared, I am highly confident you won't actually make these sort of mistakes. I make stupid mistakes all the dang time in practice work, but on real tests, I can nail it. Don't stress.