3 y.o. eye exam? Pediatric?

Started by ohiodent
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ohiodent

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you find a pediatric optometrist? My nephew refuses to listen to the doctor and he needs this exam for school. He is only 3 years old and I see his reaction to images and other things like the tv etc, which shows me he has very good vision, but the doctor would ask question that he could not answer. How and who do you take a child for a simple eye exam.
 
How do you find a pediatric optometrist? My nephew refuses to listen to the doctor and he needs this exam for school. He is only 3 years old and I see his reaction to images and other things like the tv etc, which shows me he has very good vision, but the doctor would ask question that he could not answer. How and who do you take a child for a simple eye exam.


How far are you from the Ohio State School of Optometry? Your name suggests you are in Ohio. Eye exams are recommended at 6 months old, 3 years and 5 years. I see several infants per week. It is difficult though because there is a large difference in the quality of exams you may recieve. It is quite easy to do a thorough exam on a 3 year old.

Wherever you go, you need to make sure that cover test is done and the child is given cycloplegic dilating eye drops and that the prescription is checked AFTER dilation. The OD should then look into the back of the eyes. Avoid commercial joints at all costs. If you can't find a pediatric optometrist I'd shoot for a younger doc in a private practice. Go to www.AOA.org and click on Dr. Locator. You can select docs with a pediatric preference. Another good hint is that if they are an InfantSEE provider they are probably comfortable with kids.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did your child's PCP exam his hearing?

Both of our kids had their hearing tested before they were discharged from the hospital when they were born. I thought that this protocol (universal hearing screening on newborns) was done pretty much everywhere these days...

It worked well in our case...They caught our son's mild-moderate hearing loss & he was fit with hearing aids before he was 6 months old...
 
The OSU College of Optometry is big on pediatrics (http://greatvision.osu.edu/services/pediatrics.cfm). They just built a new edition to the college, and I believe that the 4th floor is entirely dedicated to pediatric research, with some office space up there too. I'd highly recommend their services.
 
I had a 3yr old patient with a +9.00D dry retinoscopy, highest plus I've had as plus ret.

Well, I had a toddler at +6.00-9.50x180. How about some cyl!

Had several +9 and above. Anyone who does not cycloplege children is doing their patients a large disservice!