3 year premed/ bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at2341

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going for the 3 yr plan instead of 4.
I don't feel that you get the same undergrad experience if you try to do it in 3 years. Plus less time to have a good application. I also spoke to the dean of medical admissions and he said "Why would anybody want to do it in three years, What's the hurry?" It makes me think that med schools don't like 3 year applicants? Another point is that the year saved will really not mean much in the long run.

I really can't decide which I want. What do you guys think about these points?

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally choose the 4 year plan if it were me. That way you will not kill yourself with a lot of credit hours while trying to take the MCAT. I would volunteer/research/shadow in the free time that you have...that way your application will be stronger. The only reason I would choose a 3 year undergrad is if money were a big issue (saving on living expenses for a year could be substantial). However, if you are going into medicine chances are that you will eventually have a lot of debt, so one year of living expenses might be a drop in the bucket.

I'm completing in 3 years, but not because I planned ahead to do it that way. I entered college with AP classes and CLEP credit. And last summer I decided to go because I love learning so much, I didn't want the 3 month break. So I took 2 classes and enjoyed the summer learning pattern for a general ed course and statistics. I still had a great time off last summer to volunteer, etc. After that, I couldn't find anything to stretch it out without double majoring, which to me is a waste of time and money. I have found time to be in a sorority (community service chair, also). I have worked in a hospital as a unit secretary for over a year, volunteer, and job shadow. I am not getting credit hours this summer, but completing my senior project research in biology, putting in 40-50 hrs. per week. I feel that my application looks very good and I have had quite a bit of fun in these 3 years. I am also going into my last year of college with a 3.99 GPA (darn that one A-). I am doing a TPR class this summer and studying around my research. I hope I am not frowned upon by completing in 3 years, but applauded because I am motivated and not wasting time. I'm hoping Ohio State likes it! :) Good luck to all!

It is totally possible to do it it in 3 years, one of my friends, she is a double major and she got everything done in 3.5 years. So if you just major in one thing, you certainly could do 3 years, but why rush thing in my opinion. My 4th year is going to be a chill year or so I hope :D