3 year schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alwayzsmilingxo

Alwayzsmilingxo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to South University and went for an interview..but when i told my advisor that it was a 3 year school he told me that I shouldn't go to a 3 year school because it's mostly for people who either a) are already pharmacists and need to go back to school for one reason or another or B) have some sort of pharmacy experience or a degree in something else.

I wouldn't mind graduating at age 22 :) but i dont wanna be stuck in a program where everyone has more experience than me either..

Does anyone know if this is really true of 3 year schools?

Members don't see this ad.

hi there, im a little confused as to how you finished all your pre req's this year assuming that you are 19 and just graduated high school? Or did you graduate last year from high school and have finished all your pre req's this past year?

That is possible because many people actually graduate high school at 17. Two years is enough time to take prereqs. If alwayzsmiling did really well in prereqs, than it shouldn't be a problem in a 3 year program. I think 3 year programs are just faster, but if you keep on top of thing you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated highschool when i was 17 (september bday..im a young one haha) and ive taken my 2 years of pre-reqs but i have no experience whatsoever in pharmacy and it seems like everyone else on this forum has some type of experience and/or degree.

However I guess it is just the fact that the program moves faster when its all year around and that's what i thought originally before speaking with my advisor.

Thanks everyone! :love:

Alwayzsmilingxo said:
I graduated highschool when i was 17 (september bday..im a young one haha) and ive taken my 2 years of pre-reqs but i have no experience whatsoever in pharmacy and it seems like everyone else on this forum has some type of experience and/or degree.

However I guess it is just the fact that the program moves faster when its all year around and that's what i thought originally before speaking with my advisor.

Thanks everyone! :love:

I had absolutely zero experience before my first day of pharm school. I am at USN (3 year program) and I am doing fine. If you got all your prereqs done that fast (and obviously did well if you are excepted) you should be fine. Especially if the school incorporates hands on pharmacy experience right away. Our school puts us in the pharmacy a lot and then I have a part time job (7-15 hours a week).

alwaystired said:
I had absolutely zero experience before my first day of pharm school. I am at USN (3 year program) and I am doing fine. If you got all your prereqs done that fast (and obviously did well if you are excepted) you should be fine. Especially if the school incorporates hands on pharmacy experience right away. Our school puts us in the pharmacy a lot and then I have a part time job (7-15 hours a week).

So glad that people like you exist on here! That makes me feel alot better because it seems that everyone wants students that have experience. I wanna try working in one this summer near my house so I think im gonna start applying soon. Thanks again!

Hi, what are the names to some of the three year programs in US? Do most of these 3 year program schools look at GPA only or do some look at the whole package (average GPA, lots of work experiences, pharmacy experiences, LORs)? What are some of these schools? I have average gpa but not as competitive as some of the applicants here on SDN, but have a few years of work experience including retail pharmacy. It just seems like a lot of people are getting in with very high GPA and high PCAT scores as well. Any advice will help. Thank you!