3 year vs. 4 year school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
this might sound like a stupid question, but are 3 year pharm schools more difficult than 4 year pharm schools? I'm considering them because I've already racked up so many loans during undergrad and will have to wait for the fall 2013 app cycle now.. so are there any disadvantages in attending a 3 yr school? maybe such as difficulty in finding residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

this might sound like a stupid question, but are 3 year pharm schools more difficult than 4 year pharm schools? I'm considering them because I've already racked up so many loans during undergrad and will have to wait for the fall 2013 app cycle now.. so are there any disadvantages in attending a 3 yr school? maybe such as difficulty in finding residencies?

I'm in a 3-yr program and I can tell you that it gets to be really overwhelming at times. If you have good time management then it should be doable. Just know you'll be giving up your summers too and your breaks are considerably shorter than the 4-yr schools. My school is a pretty well established school and from what I've heard a lot of people match from there.

Most three year schools are only 3 years but have raised tuition. Also if you go to a four year school you can work more which means more money spent on tuition and less taken out in loans.

Think about it, I picked a four year school for that reason. Plus it's an added year of networking before you go out into the job world.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rather make 100k in my fourth year than spend 30-40k.

Well, Im not complaining about my 4 year program... A lot of my friends who are in their 3 year program are stressing out more than me, 3-4 exams every week? 1 week a exam for me?

You take your pick... yeah...

You guys do realize 3 year schools were made in World War 2 to get Pharmacists out faster for the war effort right? ahah

Thanks for your replies guys. Whoa, no i didnt know that nycrxdream. It sounds like a 4 year program will be a better fit for me. And notecard good point- networking opportunities are so important. totally overlooked that.

You guys do realize 3 year schools were made in World War 2 to get Pharmacists out faster for the war effort right? ahah

:bullcrap:

1) Pharmacy was a bacchelors degree prior to the 90s / early 2000s. Comparing any degree program from WW2 to today's program is fallacious.

2) MWU-CPG is a well-known 3 year. Its inaugural class graduated in 2001. Having a hard time linking this to WW2.

I would suggest a 4 year program, because you will have much higher quality of life in a 4 year program. But as far as residencies go it all depends on how well you establish your contacts during school and I don't see any difference between a 3 or a 4 year program as far as residency goes! But again I highly recommend 4 year programs!

I went thru a 3 year program, I thought it was great! although the tuition is high but think about it, you graduate in 3 years instead of 4 years, you make money a year earlier than those who are in the 4 years program, and 1 year of saving on housing and expenses. yes, a 3 years program can be overwhelming at times, however, people could do it, why couldn't you? LOL ...that's just my own opinion..
good luck
:)

I went thru a 3 year program, I thought it was great! although the tuition is high but think about it, you graduate in 3 years instead of 4 years, you make money a year earlier than those who are in the 4 years program, and 1 year of saving on housing and expenses. yes, a 3 years program can be overwhelming at times, however, people could do it, why couldn't you? LOL ...that's just my own opinion..
good luck

this also depends on school...i'm sure there are some 3 year programs that are better than 4 year and vice a versa...But the question is not about you being able to do it or not...Obviously majority of people graduate....it's the question of lifestyle! Are you ok not seeing your family for 3 years, not being able to work during school, always being stressed, not having enough time to really study and understand the material rather than just memorizing to pass the exam... these are all the things you should think about. You could do all of the above in a four year program...I don't think you save money though because a lot of people in four year programs have lower tuitions and they all work as well...3 year program the tuition is higher and you can't really work...so you end up not saving money just graduating a year early, if average life is 75 years/person (one year is nothing)!

good luck

Well, you'll still be living somewhere and will be eating during your first year out of the 3 year program right? :)

Hi all, I'm new to being a pre-pharm.

Is the only difference between a 3 year and a 4 year program the summers? (in terms of scheduling, I already know about the tuition differences between a 4 yr and 3 yr)

That doesn't add up to me, 3 summers = 6 months.

Your fourth year will be 10 months though right (not 6 months)?

So I guess 4 year program also goes a little slower than a 3 year program in addition to having summer breaks?

^ If that made no sense, in other words, to me this is what I see:

A 3 yr program is 36 months of schooling (3 x 12 = 36)

A 4 yr program is 40 months of schooling (4 x 12 = 48 months - 8 months of summer vacations = 40 months )

So, the 3 yr program goes at a 10% faster rate than a 4 yr program (40 - 36 = 4, and 4 is ten percent of 40). Is that really that big of a deal?