3 years later...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureDOinWV

Studying for the MCAT!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've decided to reapply to medical school. I graduated from Marshall University in 2002 with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, minors in Chemistry and Psychology. My undergrad GPA was 3.38 and my MCAT scores were terrible, 20. A little over three years have passed and I have decided to reapply. I am studying for the MCAT now in hopes to get a MUCH better score. I'm the single mom of a 14-month old and working full-time, so I have to squeeze in my study time, but I'm determined. It's amazing how much I have forgotten in such a short time. Does anyone have a story similar to mine?
 
My story couldn't be further from yours, but I just wanted to offer some encouragement. Give yourself plenty of time for the MCAT. Maybe consider a masters to get yourself back into studying and turn out some solid grades. Good luck! 👍
 
Well, I graduated in 2003 with a Biology degree. I didn't take the MCAT at that time because I was pregnant when I graduated and wasn't sure if medicine was what I really wanted. Then in 2005 I took the April MCAT, had two months to study (signed up for the MCAT February 14th on an impulse). At that point in time I had a 2 1/2 year old and was 5 months pregnant, also working full time. It was VERY difficult to find time and the energy to study.

I'm glad I don't have to do that again. Make sure you take a lot of practice tests to get an idea of how your gonna do, I wouldn't take it again until you are certain you can get a solid score.

I didn't do fantastically on the MCAT, but it was enough to get in. I'll be done with first year of med school in a little over a month.

Good luck!