30 year old exploring medical school

Started by 10gd90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

10gd90

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I'm new to this forum so please bear with me if I'm repeating oft-asked questions or breaking any rules.

I am a 30 year old in the very early stages of considering medical school. I graduated from a top 10 undergrad with a BA in political science and a minor in physics and ~3.0 GPA. I then went to work for a early-stage startup in Silicon Valley and stayed there for ~5 years, getting promoted several times and rewarded handsomely through equity. After we exited (sold the company), I decided to switch careers entirely and pursue public service through a legal career and attended a T6 law school for one year before dropping out for good. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that a career in the law requires certain sacrifices that do not align with my value system or long-term priorities.

Anyways, to the questions. I've looked over the course requirements for medical schools and it seems I will have to take several courses to either complete them for the first time or to improve on grades from undergrad. I have decided to complete those prereqs at a local city university over the course of the next year to year and a half. Will this be an acceptable way to complete the requirements? Some of the summer science courses are also online, which seems to conflict with the medical school requirement of a lab component. Is there any guidance on this?

I have more questions but wanted to start there. Again, I apologize if all of this appears very elementary but I'm completely new to this process and wanted to see if I can get by without having to hire an expensive consultant. Thank you.
 
Hi 10gd90,

Anyways, to the questions. I've looked over the course requirements for medical schools and it seems I will have to take several courses to either complete them for the first time or to improve on grades from undergrad.

I wouldn't retake a class unless you failed it unless you are absolutely certain you can get an A. It isn't impressive to get a C and then get a B upon retake. Others can chime in.

I have decided to complete those prereqs at a local city university over the course of the next year to year and a half. Will this be an acceptable way to complete the requirements? Some of the summer science courses are also online, which seems to conflict with the medical school requirement of a lab component. Is there any guidance on this?

Normally, I would say to take the prerequisites in person but classes this spring and summer are online (with an option of P/F). We don't know what the fall and beyond will look like. You can contact the schools you are interested in, but I would take those classes even if they are online. I would hope Adcoms wouldn't say, "you should have waited 1-2+ years to take these courses in person!"

Best of luck on your journey!
 
Hello all. I'm new to this forum so please bear with me if I'm repeating oft-asked questions or breaking any rules.

I am a 30 year old in the very early stages of considering medical school. I graduated from a top 10 undergrad with a BA in political science and a minor in physics and ~3.0 GPA. I then went to work for a early-stage startup in Silicon Valley and stayed there for ~5 years, getting promoted several times and rewarded handsomely through equity. After we exited (sold the company), I decided to switch careers entirely and pursue public service through a legal career and attended a T6 law school for one year before dropping out for good. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that a career in the law requires certain sacrifices that do not align with my value system or long-term priorities.

Anyways, to the questions. I've looked over the course requirements for medical schools and it seems I will have to take several courses to either complete them for the first time or to improve on grades from undergrad. I have decided to complete those prereqs at a local city university over the course of the next year to year and a half. Will this be an acceptable way to complete the requirements? Some of the summer science courses are also online, which seems to conflict with the medical school requirement of a lab component. Is there any guidance on this?

I have more questions but wanted to start there. Again, I apologize if all of this appears very elementary but I'm completely new to this process and wanted to see if I can get by without having to hire an expensive consultant. Thank you.
Your college GPA may be an obstacle, but your story could help if you have a strong desire to go into medicine, and a good explanation for quitting law school. Right now, based solely on your post, it just looks like you’re a smart person figuring out what you want to do. Medical schools will want to know why this is actually your calling. They’re risk-adverse, and they already have a handful of people every year with strong GPAs and MCAT scores dropping out, when the goal is to graduate a full class of physicians who fully intend to be practicing doctors. Before you explore how to go about your pre-reqs and how to get the clinical experience you need (which will take a few years), make sure you have a clear, strong, and honest narrative that resonates with them and more importantly, with you. You’ll need it to guide you through the next 7-10+ years of training after you begin. It’s tough for anyone, but maybe more so for those who won’t become attending physicians until after age 40. It’s worth it if you want it for the right reasons. I’m happy to help if you have questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree with above. I don't have much insight on coursework at this point. The 'with lab' could be tough in the current situation and you kinda want to get moving on it.

I will say this, you will need a well formulated narrative about why med school/doctor.

People fresh out of college just say "I want to be a doctor". It's usually taken as true as long as they have done the hours and hours of volunteer and and shadowing work (which, btw, you need to get a jump on).

I'm not necessarily accusing you of the following, but your life story comes off as "I want to be a well respected silicon valley exec and make money. I finished that and decided I want to be a well respected lawyer. I wasn't really on board with that, so now I want to be a well respected physician".

Again, I'm not saying that is what you are all about, but you'll have to convince people who interview you and make decisions that you are in it for the right reasons.
 
I have decided to complete those prereqs at a local city university over the course of the next year to year and a half. Will this be an acceptable way to complete the requirements?
Yes, that's fine



Some of the summer science courses are also online, which seems to conflict with the medical school requirement of a lab component. Is there any guidance on this?
No, take in class coursework. Many med schools do not accept online credits. The current COVID crisis is an exception.
 
Last edited: