CRNA to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anesthetic_Tuna

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey friends,

Need some advice from anyone willing to give it. I’m currently a CRNA looking at going back to medical school.

Background: I’m 30, married, kid on the way. I have a pretty good gig currently. I work at a busy adult/peds trauama center, take solo call, do all cases facility offers (peds, thoracic, trauma, etc.) no open hearts or transplants.

I’ve always wanted to be a physician. I fell into nursing and then kind of fell into CRNA school. Performed extremely well in CRNA school and got a coveted job right out of training. Being a CRNA is a great job and I’m mostly content with my current gig. My scope is large and I do all my own procedures (nerve blocks, central lines, lumbar drains, etc). The problem I have is that anesthesia is that it’s not hands on aside from a handful of procedures. It can be complex sometimes with sick patients but even then we give the same handful of meds or get creative with a nerve block to get them through surgery safely. That’s about as interesting as it gets.

I still have this urge to be doing surgery. I shadowed CT surgery when I was a nurse and thought it was what I wanted to do. Felt the same way when I did my heart rotation in training. I also find neurosurgery, particularly spine surgery, awesome. Gen surg does some awesome stuff as well.

I have a good friend in general surgery residency who loves it. All the surgeon I work with tell me “They could never do anesthesia. They love operating too much.” Surgeons at my current place don’t work that much. I work far more hours than them on an individual basis because my group takes a lot of call and we have a lot of service lines.

I need some real perspective to bring me down to earth. My wife is supportive of this transition as long as I give being a CRNA a real shot.

Should I ride off into the sunset being a CRNA and be somewhat unfulfilled professionally? Should I just go for what I really want with obvious massive sacrifices?

Thank you everyone
 
Last edited:
People leave lucrative jobs in business, medicine, you-name-it to pursue drug addiction - which, may actually be crazy. So pursuing a healthy activity and passion despite everything being grand isn't the worst thing.

You have the experience to look the future in the face, full of its uncertainties or sacrifices, and make the decision. Plus, your wife is on board. I'm retired now and am about to apply to medical school (yes, my wife is on board as well) - due to the aching desire that never left me from my days as a military provider, years in big business doing work I loathed, and now as a retiree-turned-nontraditional postbacc student.

You've worked in the OR, around surgeons of various types, and their examples or words have not been able to quell your desires - so why not pursue your passion?

Here are some links to other posts on here or reddit where this question was asked:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
 
People leave lucrative jobs in business, medicine, you-name-it to pursue drug addiction - which, may actually be crazy. So pursuing a healthy activity and passion despite everything being grand isn't the worst thing.

You have the experience to look the future in the face, full of its uncertainties or sacrifices, and make the decision. Plus, your wife is on board. I'm retired now and am about to apply to medical school (yes, my wife is on board as well) - due to the aching desire that never left me from my days as a military provider, years in big business doing work I loathed, and now as a retiree-turned-nontraditional postbacc student.

You've worked in the OR, around surgeons of various types, and their examples or words have not been able to quell your desires - so why not pursue your passion?

Here are some links to other posts on here or reddit where this question was asked:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Thank you so much for the reply! That’s a great way to think about it. I’ll check out the link. Good luck on your journey! You’ll do great
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a CRNA but I am an ICU nurse who is accepted to med school so I kinda understand your thought process about making this big of a decision. I know it’s not the same as a surgeon but is there a pathway that allows you to become an RNFA?