Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 30 year old former attorney living & working in Asia, where I've been about 2.5 years.
I started my own publishing company a few years ago (mostly wellness, health & fitness-oriented material) and have been thus self-employed since 2007.
The company is profitable, but I can't shake the desire to serve as a "proper doctor".
I was considering attending an English language MBBS program at a mainland Chinese university, but from what I've read here it seems that if I want to have a legitimate shot at a US residency it would behoove me to do everything I can to be admitted to a US medical school.
I was a humanities major at a top-40 liberal arts college (3.1 GPA), and I attended law school at a state school (2.7 GPA; I hated law school).
Since my grades aren't doing me any favors, I'm curious if anyone can speak to which these pre-med post-bacc programs might be more suitable for me?
I think I'd be more comfortable in a fairly structured program, like the one I've read about in Vermont. I just don't have any idea whether I'd be able to get in.
Based on what I've read I don't believe I'd be competitive at programs like Temple or Tulane or Goucher so I've been looking at places like Vermont, Oregon State, Southern Maine, etc ...
I'm also open to the idea of simply taking the necessary prereq courses at my local big state university back home, but even if I did a 4.0 in all eight of them would it be as attractive to med schools as going through a more formal post-bacc program?
Much obliged for any and all thoughts or suggestions. 😉
I started my own publishing company a few years ago (mostly wellness, health & fitness-oriented material) and have been thus self-employed since 2007.
The company is profitable, but I can't shake the desire to serve as a "proper doctor".
I was considering attending an English language MBBS program at a mainland Chinese university, but from what I've read here it seems that if I want to have a legitimate shot at a US residency it would behoove me to do everything I can to be admitted to a US medical school.
I was a humanities major at a top-40 liberal arts college (3.1 GPA), and I attended law school at a state school (2.7 GPA; I hated law school).
Since my grades aren't doing me any favors, I'm curious if anyone can speak to which these pre-med post-bacc programs might be more suitable for me?
I think I'd be more comfortable in a fairly structured program, like the one I've read about in Vermont. I just don't have any idea whether I'd be able to get in.
Based on what I've read I don't believe I'd be competitive at programs like Temple or Tulane or Goucher so I've been looking at places like Vermont, Oregon State, Southern Maine, etc ...
I'm also open to the idea of simply taking the necessary prereq courses at my local big state university back home, but even if I did a 4.0 in all eight of them would it be as attractive to med schools as going through a more formal post-bacc program?
Much obliged for any and all thoughts or suggestions. 😉
Last edited: