33 mcat, 4.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

33 MCAT (11, 11, 11)

4.0 GPA from UT-Austin

Which tier of out-of-state schools should I be looking at? Which ones in the top 20 do I have a good shot at?

I have research experience, awarded a fellowship to do neuro research at UT.
I have clinical experience. Volunteered as an assistant surgical tech for two summers.
Lots of service experience. Doing a cross-continent bicycle ride (4500 miles) to raise money for cancer this summer, and an officer for a global health group on campus.
Done a fair share of shadowing as well.

I'm looking at in-state and out-of-state. Dream schools would be:

Northwestern, Colombia, Cornell, UCLA, Emory, Pitt, Lerner...are these within reach? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which tier of out-of-state schools should I be looking at? Which ones in the top 20 do I have a good shot at?

With your LizzyM score (MCAT score + (cGPA X 10) + 1 = Your Score) at 74, schools in your reach to be considered are:

72/UVirgina, OhioState, Case, URochester, Einstein, Dartmouth, UColorado,
73/Vanderbilt, UPenn, NYU, Tufts, Emory, Stanford,
74/UPitt, Duke, Mt Sinai, Columbia, Mayo, UMichigan

Schools that are a bit of a reach are:

75/Baylor, Cornell, Harvard, Hopkins, UChicago, Northwestern, Yale

Your chances at those among the top twenty will depend on whether your application reflects the potential to become a future leaders in medicine. Hopefully, you have substantive research experience (2+ year) and maybe a publication, or strong leadership, or a consistent pattern of nonmedical/noncampus hands-on community service.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got 2 top 20s in your native country...why leave?! Unless your LOR or PS are weak, you would likely get interviews at every Texas school. Unless you're a bad interviewee, you will likely have acceptances at most of said schools. Given your Texas resident status, you will benefit from the resident quotas present at every Texas med school. This in turn begs the question....which med schools outside the state would really make you want to turn down an acceptance at UTSW, BCM, UT-xx, etc.? Those are the only OOS state schools I'd apply to. For me, those schools were Vandy, Mayo, Emory--and as it turns out I probably wouldn't have turned down UTSW or BCM for any of those anyways. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I guess I want to see if my chances are good enough out of state to consider applying, and having the decision to make after I visit...

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I guess I want to see if my chances are good enough out of state to consider applying, and having the decision to make after I visit...

I think your chances are good enough to throw out some OOS reaches and see what happens...

I would put down 5-8 schools I think I would love to maybe attend and take a look....