514 MCAT - 4.0 GPA school list help?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noah2793

Reaction score
2024-25 cycle
White
Male
Oregonian (Portland)
c/sGPA: 4.0
514 (131 127 129 127)

ECs:
100 hours of clinical volunteering (75 in hospice setting)
600 hours of muscle physiology lab research (honors thesis + American Physiological Society Local Undergraduate Research Award in Physiology)
- Multiple presentations / posters
50 hours of clinical shadowing (ER, surgery, primary care, hospitalist)
25 hours of fraternity scholarship chair (one semester)
50 hours of private German tutor
2019-20 founder and president of university's Model UN club
4 years of athlete on alpine ski team
Eagle Scout
2022 Vice President for Research and Innovation (VPRI) Undergraduate Fellowship

Also, learned German fluently in exchange year in Switzerland in high school and soon fluent in Spanish (traveling this year in Peru/Guatemala and will add clinical shadowing abroad to experiences)

Would prefer to be somewhere with good nature options (big skier) and interested in research/teaching. No speciality preferences yet. How high up can I swing with my MCAT (what average MCAT is reasonable given my high GPA?) Also not sure how much tuition is reasonable given I don't have a speciality preference yet.

Thanks in advance!

School list:
Colorado
OHSU
UC Irvine
Kaiser
UCSF
Dartmouth
UCSD
NYU Long Island
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Reno
New Mexico
Utah
Brown
Albert Einstein
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
California University of Science.
Hawaii
Cal. Northstate
Minnesota
Loma Linda
Albany

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently in the application pool? Have you received interviews?
Aside from Eagle Scout status, what community service have you done more recently?
Why not research? Gap year in Peace Corps or similar?

Are you currently in the application pool? Have you received interviews?
Aside from Eagle Scout status, what community service have you done more recently?
Why not research? Gap year in Peace Corps or similar?
No, I'm applying next cycle! More recently, I've been volunteering at a dog shelter in Peru, helping with feeding, walking, medications, etc (three weeks). Also, Peace Corps is generally over a two year committment which is why I didn't go that route.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@noah2793 spend more time looking up your schools on the MSAR to see which schools are more friendly to OOS applicants with your profile.
There are many California schools on your list and UC Davis for one accepts virtually nobody OOS. Last year they accepted zero OOS and the year before only 2.
Minnesota and Hawaii are also low chance for OOS applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state (UC Davis and New Mexico only admit 1 or 2 per year and UC Riverside zero)). You also have no non clinical volunteering and should accumulate 150+ hours (homeless shelter. food bank. etc.) before you apply. Your 100 clinical hours are low and you should add another 100+ hours. I suggest these schools if you accumulate those hours:
OHSU
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Colorado
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Dartmouth
Albany
Rochester
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont (new school)
TCU

Reactions: 1 users
You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state (UC Davis and New Mexico only admit 1 or 2 per year and UC Riverside zero)). You also have no non clinical volunteering and should accumulate 150+ hours (homeless shelter. food bank. etc.) before you apply. Your 100 clinical hours are low and you should add another 100+ hours. I suggest these schools if you accumulate those hours:
OHSU
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Colorado
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Dartmouth
Albany
Rochester
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont (new school)
TCU
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

You really don’t need clinical shadowing abroad. It might be interesting but your application needs more hours in specific areas. You do need more clinical hours and nonclinical volunteering in the US.

Reactions: 1 users