Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

33 MCAT and 4.0 G.P.A.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Jenny9871234, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Jenny9871234

Jenny9871234

Hey guys! So I just came off of taking my MCAT and just got a 33 MCAT (12 P, 13 B, 8 V). I know that it may not be the most balanced scores, but I was hoping you guys could give me an idea as to how my chances are to med schools? I am currently a FL resident in Tallahassee and was going to apply to schools all over FL and around the U.S., as well. A few that I plan on applying to include:

Reach Schools

JHU
    UChicago
    Tufts
    Columbia
    Duke
    Mayo

Within Reach

UNC
    Penn St.
    Brown
    UMiami
    USF
    UCF
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    WVU

Safety

FSU
    Southern Illinois

Other information:

- 4.0 GPA (Biochem major)
    - Attended two intense research programs over the summer, as well as, research during the academic year
    - Shadowed 5/6 physicians - different specialties
    - Volunteered - 150 + hrs. (Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Hospital camps, VA, etc)
    - Leadership is evident

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Furthermore, if you have any additions to make to the list that would be great too!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. masaraksh

masaraksh 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My advice would be to replace JHU, Columbia, Duke, Mayo, UNC, and Brown with others. Your app seems avg at best for the first 3. Mayo has a tiny class size. And for the last two you would be OOS which in all likelihood will mean you're wasting money on the apps.

Replace with:
    UVA
    Case
    ...? OSU, Rochester, Sinai, BU maybe?

4. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    With what you have listed here, your only reach school that is not entirely a donation is Tufts.

5. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You really need the MSAR.
    SIU doesn't even accept OOS students, they don't even accept all IS students that aren't from southern Illinois.

Make sure if you're applying to OOS state schools, they're 1. OOS friendly and 2. your stats are above their average.

The Milkman, chemguy79 and gyngyn like this.
  6. BrawnsNBrain

BrawnsNBrain Twitter: @BrawnsNBrain

Medical Student
    Add UF.

gyngyn likes this.
  7. Jenny9871234

Jenny9871234

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions! Here is a more updated list:

Reach Schools
    UChicago – Dream School
    Tufts
    Duke – Accepts OOS
    Ohio St.
    Einstein

Within Reach
    UVA
    Jefferson
    Penn St.
    Brown
    UMiami
    USF
    UF
    UCF
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    WVU
    UColorado

Safety
    FSU
    Tulane

In addition, can anyone give me an idea as to what schools from my "Within Reach" and "Reach" list I will be competitive for, as well as, any suggestions when filling out secondaries? Does anyone know if these schools screen MCAT and GPA before releasing secondaries? Thanks

8. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Duke, without significant research experience, is not a reach, it's a donation. Though U of C is also a donation, a single Hail Mary is understandable if not advisable. Tulane is far from a safety but it is in range.

This list has 12 schools where you have a good chance at an interview. That's usually enough. You are likely to get secondaries from all of these. It does not predict an interview.

As soon as secondary questions become available they will be posted in the school specific threads. You can check on last years questions now in that sub forum.

9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Goro suggests:

Dartmouth
    BU
    Tufts
    Einstein
    NYMC
    SLU
    MCW
    GWU
    Georgetown
    Loyola
    Penn State
    Tulane
    Drexel
    Jefferson
    Albany
    Vcu
    EVMS
    USC
    Wake-Forest
    All new MD programs
    Any DO program

10. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You don't seem to have a significant amount of research, 2 summers isn't very much, and you said it was intensive yet you have no publications from it. This isn't going to meet the standards of high tier schools with a heavy research emphasis such as Duke. Also, did you go to Brown, if not you should look at how many seats are actually open to you. Colorado also takes very few OOS people, it's quite unlikely that you are going to do anything more than give them your primary and secondary money and never be actually considered. UChicago is also quite a longshot.

It's not too bad to throw in a few (reasonable) dream schools, but make sure the vast majority of the schools you are applying to either match your stats or are slightly lower than your stats. Also don't forget to take into account the missions of different schools and factors that are important to them for admissions (such as research, etc.).

11. Mayday_

Mayday_ 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm just curious, but when you say publications are you specifically referring to published papers? Do research heavy schools care much if you have poster presentations but no papers?

12. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Generally published papers (not abstracts). Poster presentations are nice, but don't really compare with having a paper published, or even giving a talk at a conference.

About the ads