33 MCAT and 4.0 G.P.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenny9871234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I just came off of taking my MCAT and just got a 33 MCAT (12 P, 13 B, 8 V). I know that it may not be the most balanced scores, but I was hoping you guys could give me an idea as to how my chances are to med schools? I am currently a FL resident in Tallahassee and was going to apply to schools all over FL and around the U.S., as well. A few that I plan on applying to include:

Reach Schools

JHU
UChicago
Tufts
Columbia
Duke
Mayo

Within Reach

UNC
Penn St.
Brown
UMiami
USF
UCF
Kentucky
Louisville
WVU

Safety

FSU
Southern Illinois

Other information:

- 4.0 GPA (Biochem major)
- Attended two intense research programs over the summer, as well as, research during the academic year
- Shadowed 5/6 physicians - different specialties
- Volunteered - 150 + hrs. (Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Hospital camps, VA, etc)
- Leadership is evident

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Furthermore, if you have any additions to make to the list that would be great too!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to replace JHU, Columbia, Duke, Mayo, UNC, and Brown with others. Your app seems avg at best for the first 3. Mayo has a tiny class size. And for the last two you would be OOS which in all likelihood will mean you're wasting money on the apps.

Replace with:
UVA
Case
...? OSU, Rochester, Sinai, BU maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
You really need the MSAR.
SIU doesn't even accept OOS students, they don't even accept all IS students that aren't from southern Illinois.

Make sure if you're applying to OOS state schools, they're 1. OOS friendly and 2. your stats are above their average.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions! Here is a more updated list:

Reach Schools
UChicago – Dream School
Tufts
Duke – Accepts OOS
Ohio St.
Einstein

Within Reach
UVA
Jefferson
Penn St.
Brown
UMiami
USF
UF
UCF
Kentucky
Louisville
WVU
UColorado

Safety
FSU
Tulane

In addition, can anyone give me an idea as to what schools from my "Within Reach" and "Reach" list I will be competitive for, as well as, any suggestions when filling out secondaries? Does anyone know if these schools screen MCAT and GPA before releasing secondaries? Thanks

Duke, without significant research experience, is not a reach, it's a donation. Though U of C is also a donation, a single Hail Mary is understandable if not advisable. Tulane is far from a safety but it is in range.

This list has 12 schools where you have a good chance at an interview. That's usually enough. You are likely to get secondaries from all of these. It does not predict an interview.

As soon as secondary questions become available they will be posted in the school specific threads. You can check on last years questions now in that sub forum.

You don't seem to have a significant amount of research, 2 summers isn't very much, and you said it was intensive yet you have no publications from it. This isn't going to meet the standards of high tier schools with a heavy research emphasis such as Duke. Also, did you go to Brown, if not you should look at how many seats are actually open to you. Colorado also takes very few OOS people, it's quite unlikely that you are going to do anything more than give them your primary and secondary money and never be actually considered. UChicago is also quite a longshot.

It's not too bad to throw in a few (reasonable) dream schools, but make sure the vast majority of the schools you are applying to either match your stats or are slightly lower than your stats. Also don't forget to take into account the missions of different schools and factors that are important to them for admissions (such as research, etc.).

You don't seem to have a significant amount of research, 2 summers isn't very much, and you said it was intensive yet you have no publications from it. This isn't going to meet the standards of high tier schools with a heavy research emphasis such as Duke. Also, did you go to Brown, if not you should look at how many seats are actually open to you. Colorado also takes very few OOS people, it's quite unlikely that you are going to do anything more than give them your primary and secondary money and never be actually considered. UChicago is also quite a longshot.

It's not too bad to throw in a few (reasonable) dream schools, but make sure the vast majority of the schools you are applying to either match your stats or are slightly lower than your stats. Also don't forget to take into account the missions of different schools and factors that are important to them for admissions (such as research, etc.).

I'm just curious, but when you say publications are you specifically referring to published papers? Do research heavy schools care much if you have poster presentations but no papers?

I'm just curious, but when you say publications are you specifically referring to published papers? Do research heavy schools care much if you have poster presentations but no papers?
Generally published papers (not abstracts). Poster presentations are nice, but don't really compare with having a paper published, or even giving a talk at a conference.