Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
haven't been on here for a long while now but I'm in a bit of a special situation now so I wanted to see what your advice was on.
I'm currently a senior at UCLA finishing up my Biodegree (CUM GPA 3.8, Sciences and Math 3.9) and took the mcat last summer which I received a 33R (10VR, 12PS, 11BS). During my time at UCLA I have been involved in-
-2 years of research in the same Neuroscilab
-1 year of Redcross Volunteer as a First Aid/AED instructor for city colleges
-1 year of Volunteering at Ucla Medical Center Care Extender
-1 summer of Shadowing a Head/Neck Surgeon
-2 summers of Volunteering at MS society and other volunteer opportunities.
-Vp of a premedical club for 2 years
Well a year has almost passed and I opted not to apply this year due to some family issues and also due to the fact that I am an international student. I went to highschool here in California all four years, but still have not been naturalized due to a series of freakish mishaps with my process. Now I was hoping taking this year off would resolve the situation but I have been informed that a year may not be long enough and it may take longer for me to finally become a resident. So now my question to you guys is this:
Would an international student with 3.8 gpa, 33RMCAT, and the above currics have a shot at getting interviews at some of the private schools? I am thinking of private schools due to the fact that they are more open to accepting internationals than public schools. I am considering on retaking the MCAT this summer if my chances are low. I honestly am not too picky and would be happy with a midtier school or worse case scenario a low tier school. So what do you guys think, should I just work on my currics this year and apply next year with the same MCAT or shall I retake it and try to improve a couple of points? Thanks for the consideration.
haven't been on here for a long while now but I'm in a bit of a special situation now so I wanted to see what your advice was on.
I'm currently a senior at UCLA finishing up my Biodegree (CUM GPA 3.8, Sciences and Math 3.9) and took the mcat last summer which I received a 33R (10VR, 12PS, 11BS). During my time at UCLA I have been involved in-
-2 years of research in the same Neuroscilab
-1 year of Redcross Volunteer as a First Aid/AED instructor for city colleges
-1 year of Volunteering at Ucla Medical Center Care Extender
-1 summer of Shadowing a Head/Neck Surgeon
-2 summers of Volunteering at MS society and other volunteer opportunities.
-Vp of a premedical club for 2 years
Well a year has almost passed and I opted not to apply this year due to some family issues and also due to the fact that I am an international student. I went to highschool here in California all four years, but still have not been naturalized due to a series of freakish mishaps with my process. Now I was hoping taking this year off would resolve the situation but I have been informed that a year may not be long enough and it may take longer for me to finally become a resident. So now my question to you guys is this:
Would an international student with 3.8 gpa, 33RMCAT, and the above currics have a shot at getting interviews at some of the private schools? I am thinking of private schools due to the fact that they are more open to accepting internationals than public schools. I am considering on retaking the MCAT this summer if my chances are low. I honestly am not too picky and would be happy with a midtier school or worse case scenario a low tier school. So what do you guys think, should I just work on my currics this year and apply next year with the same MCAT or shall I retake it and try to improve a couple of points? Thanks for the consideration.