34q gpa3.99

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockymhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my MCAT score and have full stats now!

I wanted to know my chances at schools I want to go to, and it would be great if you guys assess my stats.

My verbal is on low side, but can the fact that English being my second language help?

MCAT: 34Q (PS:13 VR:9 BS:12)
GPA: 3.997 (one credit biochemistry seminar class with A- ruined it)

ECs:
* Research in biology lab since the summer of 2007 (little more than 2 years) - biggest part of my EC. Presented a poster at an annual SICB meeting. Will be doing honors thesis. Hopefully a publication before graduation.
* Summer undergraduate research fellowship in the summer of 2008 at University of Toledo College of Medicine - worked in a renal lab for 10 weeks.
* Research in a Psychology lab for 2 semesters - no longer participating.
* Volunteer at a care center for physically and mentally disabled children - for about a year.
* Volunteer as a basketball coach for an elementary school team sponsored by my city.
* Shadowed two different doctors, one in emergency care and a cardiologist.
Spent a night at the emergency room and about 3 full days with the cardiologist, which covered all his jobs including interventional procedure.
* Church choir - for about 2 years, although terrible at it.

Hobbies:
* Playing sports (tennis, golf, basketball, snowboarding, skiing, etc)
- I love sports and spend at least 4 hours or more per week

My schools:
*U of Colorado (state resident)
*Dartmouth
*U of Rochester
*Weill Cornell
*Stanford
*Georgetown
*Tulane
*Boston U
*Tufts
*NYU
*Jefferson Medical College

are some of schools I am looking at right now...

What do guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.997 (one credit biochemistry seminar class with A- ruined it)
+pity+ you are screwed now :)

The publication would help a bunch at Cornell, Stanford, BU, and NYU. Not that you don't have a shot without it - just a way to be a bit better than others. You might want to add just a couple more schools on the safe end, since you won't be complete until late August/early September. Consider Temple, Albany, UIllinois-Chicago, and Drexel.

I think you have a nice application, though that 9 VR is a bit :confused: with everything else you have lol. But I think you are a great interview away from flying into Colorado, Tulane, and probably Jefferson. Tufts, Georgetown, and Rochester will be harder, but I still think you stand a good chance. BU, Dartmouth, Cornell, Stanford NYU - reach schools for you (well maybe not Dartmouth, close call) - certainly apply why not? But some schools are already active - like BU has started letting the rejections fly lol.

Here is your biggest flaw:

* Church choir - for about 2 years, although terrible at it.

Don't sing at your interview! :laugh: :p

Thanks

Your suggestion for applying to safety school is a good idea...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they will ask me to sing. ...will they?

Last edited:
I don't think they will ask me to sing. ...will they?

haha probably not. But to be serious, there is that 0.1% chance - simply because you are reporting singing, not experience playing a musical instrument. But yeah, it is still about a 0.1% chance lol