SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

35 most outrageous fees (and how to avoid them)

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by mshheaddoc, May 3, 2007.

1. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    CNN posted this and I just came across this. I thought there were some GREAT tips!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. blanche

blanche #$%&*[email protected]!!#? 7+ Year Member

oh yes,i've been called cheap, i prefer 'frugal', but some of those things drive me crazy. like the airline stuff--don't get me started. on atm fees....sure, it's only a couple $ here or there, but it does add up.

i'm actually trying to shop for a new bank for checking now since i'm moving states. i'm looking at TD banknorth for basic/free non-interest bearing checking b/c they have no ATM fees and will refund those charged by other banks. unlimited, no monthly fee. only thing is they will have no atms or branches near where i will live and work, but my other option is the local bank whose atm is located in the hospital and i'm not too hot on them.

4. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2005
    TX
    What about WaMu? They have a pretty good deal on now. Free Checking + 5% Saving account - but, while they'll never charge you for using an out of network ATM, they won't refund the other bank's charge.

http://spe.atdmt.com/lp/wamu/checking.html

5. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh! 10+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Living in America
    In my experience, credit unions don't have most/all of those horrendous bank fees, or they are MUCH lower. If you have the opportunity, join a credit union.

Finding ATMs that don't charge is more difficult, but they are out there:

http://www.co-opfs.org/public/locators/atmlocator/index.cfm

6. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

It didn't say how to avoid paying the fee for Step II CS:(

7. blanche

blanche #$%&*[email protected]!!#? 7+ Year Member