38M, 3.95 - Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weroiu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.95 G.P.A. and got a 38M on the MCATs. I have some clinical experience shadowing a doctor, but not much, and have done a summer research internship. I have absolutely no idea as to what schools I should apply to. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Choosing wisely from the top 25 would be a good start.

The good news is that you have GREAT GPA/MCAT. With those numbers you have a shot at the top programs in the country. But..

Those schools usually require extensive research and publications. Also you lack a very important criteria...clinical experience. Many people have 1+ years of clinical experience applying and its pretty much a requirement these days. Shadowing is not really considered clinical experience.

When do you plan on applying?

Can you list your EC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I definitely realize that my clinical experience is weak. I'll be applying this summer, so I have some time to get some more experience, but not much. I think my extracurricular activities will be pretty helpful. Through not diverse, they are extensive. I am a pianist, drummer and composer - I am double majoring in biology and music. I have played many impressive classical piano pieces, performed at recitals and have had many of my compositions performed (and recorded) by other students as well as faculty at my school. Also, although I'm skeptical about the value of them, I gave in to Phi Beta Kappa and gave them $80 as well as some other one so I could put some Greek letters on my resume, which always looks good. I suppose it could be a valid (and true) excuse that much of my extracurricular time is devoted to music rather than gaining clinical experience.

I'll bump this because I have similar stats, though my ECs are weaker than yours.

I have similar situation..although you have better GPA/MCAT I devoted a ton of time to music through undergrad. It makes up a majority of my non-medical EC's. I am jazz player though not classical. Stuff like this adds diversity to your app for sure but it is not an excuse for lack of clinical experience.

If you wanted to be a doctor then why devote so much time to music as opposed to gaining clinical experience? Why not be a musician with an interest in science on the side? I myself I have to think of answers to these questions because I devoted a ton of time to music that should have been for studying! Played at Kennedy Center, for the state department, numerous fundraisers with my band, toured the east coast. Its all great fun and all..but you have to show that your interests are in line for medical school. 1) medicine 2) music

Good point. It definitely is the case that medicine is my top priority, but how can I prove it?

I think I addressed this in one secondary..or maybe had a dream I did..after doing so many I don't know anymore.

Here is a poorly written example to think about... I knew from the start I wanted to do medicine. But I have a passion for music and it is a really big part of my life. So since I knew I was going to goto medical school, I devoted as much time as I could to my performing career b/c it would end probably forever or until I'm old. I understand that clinical experience is an important and rewarding experience and wish I did more in the past but in the end hindsight is 20/20. I don't regret all that I did because it makes up who I am today, but currently I am doing all that I can to prepare me for a career in medicine...

get the picture? if you think of a better answer let me know too

I'm trying to decide what medical schools to apply to, and it seems like the most difficult part is picking a safety school. I got a 38M on the MCATs and my GPA is 3.95. I have some research experience, some clinical experience, and extensive extracurricular activities. Is it reasonable to assume that I'll definitely be accepted into Stony Brook University? If not, how about Drexel University, New York Medical College, SUNY Upstate, or Temple University? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm trying to decide what medical schools to apply to, and it seems like the most difficult part is picking a safety school. I got a 38M on the MCATs and my GPA is 3.95. I have some research experience, some clinical experience, and extensive extracurricular activities. Is it reasonable to assume that I'll definitely be accepted into Stony Brook University? If not, how about Drexel University, New York Medical College, SUNY Upstate, or Temple University? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It is not reasonable to assume you will "definitely" be accepted anywhere, regardless of your stats. You should apply to schools where your stats are competitive and where your goals for the school's mission. A high stat candidate very interested in research will likely not be interviewed at a school whose focus is on clinical training and which has little research to offer, as hey would not expect such an applicant to be satisfied there.

Also, with a 38 you should know it's MCAT; singular.

Your best safety school is your in-state school. Admissions is a crapshoot so while your numbers are much higher than Temple, NYMC, Drexel, etc. it's not a guarantee at all of even getting an interview.

There are no absolutes in the med school application process. There are people who get accepted to a Top 20 but get rejected/waitlisted from their so-called "safety" schools. Just because your scores are higher than a school's averages doesn't give you the automatic in.

That being said, when you make your list of schools, make it broad. Select a few schools where you are well above the average ("safeties"), a few schools where you are below average or are typically very selective ("reaches"), and several schools where you are around/above average.

Also, you still have over 6 months to decide on schools...since you already have the MCAT done, I'd suggest just chilling until May, when you can start working on AMCAS. No need to extend an already stressful application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else said, there are no safety schools. This is coming from someone with a 3.9 and a 37. I was complete at around 35 schools in early September. I have 10 interviews and 2 acceptances, and the acceptances are from schools I almost didn't bother applying to. Apply broadly. Seriously. BTW, a word of advice, take school's secondaries REALLY seriously. Especially Stony Brook. With high stats and a crappy secondary, it's pretty obvious you're using them as a safer school. So put in the effort on secondaries.. it will make a huge difference. :luck:

Says the kid who has an MDApplicants account and hasn't even taken the test yet. With a 38, he can call it whatever he wants.

Popcorn-11-Eddie-Griffin.gif

Suggestion for new post: How not to gloat.

You are perfectly capable of looking at an MSAR and finding different school stats and mission objectives.

^ Yeah, I think you're just fishing for compliments here.

Suggestion for new post: How not to gloat.

You are perfectly capable of looking at an MSAR and finding different school stats and mission objectives.
MSAR costs money. I don't see how it's gloating to list stats and ask about specific schools. Sounds like some people here are jelly.

MSAR costs money. I don't see how it's gloating to list stats and ask about specific schools. Sounds like some people here are jelly.
I like to think of myself as grape jelly. Concord grape to be specific.

Too bad I couldn't get an inb4 someone said jelly on this one. The MSAR is not that expensive (and has the ability to save you hundreds on applications that are pointless) and pretty much every pre-med committee has a copy for their students to use. I found the way OP addressed the topic callous and lacking in tact.

There are no safeties in the admissions process.

I didn't even get an interview at one of my state schools despite the fact that my numbers are higher than the average MCAT/GPA of their entering class. Each school has their own profile of an "ideal" candidate, and you can never be sure that your application fits within a school's academic and social mission.

Too bad I couldn't get an inb4 someone said jelly on this one. The MSAR is not that expensive (and has the ability to save you hundreds on applications that are pointless) and pretty much every pre-med committee has a copy for their students to use. I found the way OP addressed the topic callous and lacking in tact.
So everyone in the WAMC forum is callous and lacking in tact and should just rely on the MSAR instead of other people's experiences. Christ, it's like you can't even ask stat-related questions without some premed breathing down your neck.

Says the kid who has an MDApplicants account and hasn't even taken the test yet. With a 38, he can call it whatever he wants.
Oh, burn. Am I not allowed to have an MDApplicants account without having taken the MCAT?
Yeah, probably a bit too snappy. I just found it ironic that someone who never has taken the MCAT told someone who has what he "should know" about the test.
Why is it ironic when what I stated has absolutely nothing to do with experience actually taking the test? What's more ironic is that he has taken the test and still didn't know. In any case, you took what I said way too seriously. It wasn't intended as an insult; I included the reference to his (obviously great) score to make it more humorous. Note that I gave a detailed answer to his question as well.

In my opinion one should give advice and critiques when they have actually experienced things. Make sure to tell medical students what to call their boards. And I don't think I am the only one on this board who thinks that having an MDApps is pathetic before you have taken Orgo, MCAT, applied, etc.

In my opinion one should give advice and critiques when they have actually experienced things. Make sure to tell medical students what to call their boards. And I don't think I am the only one on this board who thinks that having an MDApps is pathetic before you have taken Orgo, MCAT, applied, etc.
If you disagree with the advice I gave feel free to say so, otherwise I would say I steer clear of speaking from personal experience on things I have not experienced.

As for your opinions, fortunately I am not concerned with what others think is "pathetic."

Like everyone else said, there are no safety schools. This is coming from someone with a 3.9 and a 37. I was complete at around 35 schools in early September. I have 10 interviews and 2 acceptances, and the acceptances are from schools I almost didn't bother applying to. Apply broadly. Seriously. BTW, a word of advice, take school's secondaries REALLY seriously. Especially Stony Brook. With high stats and a crappy secondary, it's pretty obvious you're using them as a safer school. So put in the effort on secondaries.. it will make a huge difference. :luck:

Kexy, Idk if you remember me, but you posted on my thread one time, when I asked about being a philosophy major, it's nice to hear you're doing so well. Congrats! :)

just to echo what's been said since about the 2nd post: nothing is guaranteed.

I wish you the best in the app season and think you've got a great chance to at least get an interview. From there you can justify your subtle self-doubts as you see fit

although I'm skeptical about the value of them, I gave in to Phi Beta Kappa and gave them $80

after reading this, though, i became a little more convinced that you're either really: humble... or just fishing for complements. (there are probably a few more options but that's all i can manage on hardly any sleep right now) Hope it's the former, but as someone who believes pbk isn't just "greek letters"- no matter what it is, I hope you treat the AMCAS/ secondaries as more than an opportunity to "give in and give them $"