MD WAMC (512/3.95) CA ORM Female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terramar

Reaction score
I would love to get some opinions! What are my overall chances this year with MD schools?

And I'd love to get some help with my school list - I know it's long and needs to be trimmed - but where?

Here are my stats:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.93
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 503 (c/p 123, cars 129, b/b 123, p/s 128)
    2. 512 (c/p 127, cars 132, b/b 127, p/s 126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Mount Holyoke - a "Seven Sisters" Women's college in Massachusetts. Major in Biology, Minor in Anthropology
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. Paid
      Total: approximately 800-900 by June 1
      1. Covid testing and education with the County of Los Angeles during the initial pandemic - 260 hours total
      2. Covid testing and education -: 350 hours total
      3. New job as a scribe for a gynecological oncologist starting in a week. 25 hours/week for the foreseeable future - estimated 200-300 by June 1
    2. Volunteer
      Tota:l approximately 240-250 hours by June 1
      1. Hospital volunteer in pre- and post-op surgery: 120 hours. Continuing 4 hr/week for the foreseeable future
      2. Set medic for LGBTQ film production. 70 hours.
  7. Research experience and productivity no real research experience. thanks to covid
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    Total: approximately 80
    1. Plastic Surgeon - currently 5 hours, hoping for 10-15
    2. Adult/Child Psychiatrist - currently 10 hours, estimating 15
    3. Gynecological Oncologist - estimated 30
    4. Dermatologist - estimated 10 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    total about 200 hours, but looking to add more
    1. Tutoring and homework assistance - 200 hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Certified EMT since 2019
    2. Rugby on my college team for 4 years. Team medic for practices and after-hours (evaluating and treating injuries, etc) Led fundraising.
    3. Certified Rescue Diver - over 100 logged dives
  11. Travel - participated in service projects in the UK, Germany, China. Have visited over 16 countries so far.
Other info: LGBTQ+, with a strong interest in women's, LGBTQ+, trans health issues. So I've eliminated unfriendly states and states with major women's health restrictions. My other primary interest so far is emergency medicine.

I should have a strong committee letter from my school. Hoping for a good, strong letter from the physician I will be working for over the next few months. I think my personal statements and secondaries will show a strong through-line of my interest in medicine.

Born and raised in Southern California, went to college in western Mass. While either one of those places might be a general preference, I'm just as open to going anywhere in the country.

Here's my current school list. I know it's too long right now, so I'm looking for advice and thoughts. Built based on admit.org, and a lot of time spent going over MSAR. Tried to pick schools where my mcat and gpa match up well. Now I need help to know if my other stats match up too. Are there some I should remove? Others I should add? I tried to remove ones that seem out-of-state unfriendly, but did I miss some?

Far-Reach:
  • Brown
  • Boston University
  • Einstein
  • Kaiser (will the stats be as high without the tuition waiver now?)

Reach:
  • Dartmouth
  • Emory
  • New York Medical College
  • Rutgers NJ
  • Thomas Jefferson University
  • U Colorado
  • U Iowa
  • U Mass
  • UC Irvine
  • UC San Diego
  • UC San Francisco
  • USC
  • Western Michigan

Target:
  • CA Northstate
  • CUSM
  • Drexel
  • Geisinger
  • Georgetown
  • OHSU
  • Quinnipiac
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Rowan
  • Rutgers RWJMS
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • U Connecticut
  • U Maryland
  • U Vermont
  • UCLA
  • VA Tech
  • Wayne State

Lower Target:
  • Albany
  • Eastern VA
  • GWU
  • Loyola
  • Medical College of WI
  • Oakland
  • Penn State
  • Rush
  • U Illinois
  • U Wisconsin
  • UC Davis
  • Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

How confident are you in your prehealth advising team's support of your application (committee letter)? What have they told you about your chances, and what schools have they suggested?

Join

Read

Check out the MSPA, which will have a virtual conference coming next month.

Schools will generally average MCAT scores for screening purposes, so some of your reach schools are really out of reach.

Most schools like to see at least 150 hours of service orientation activities, but those who are more service-oriented in mission would like at least 250. Places like Rush want almost 1000 hours at submission.

Be aware of the state politics of the schools you have listed.

Last edited:
Schools may average your MCAT scores. You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your MCAT scores and no connection to the state. California Northstate has accreditation issues. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
UMass
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)