Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!
I love this website and hope that some of you fellow non-trads can help me out here. I work as a school psychologist...tenured position, basically work about 9 months/year, 8-4 pm, no weekends/evenings, 85k, great retirement, ...I am financially comfortable (lots of equity, little debt)..no children, no husband, & no real desire to settle for the sake of settling....Sorry-I'll get to the point. I'm willing to give it all up if I knew I had a chance of getting into med school....and then get a descent job post med school. I'm figuring I'll be 49 by the time I finish my pre-req, possible glide year, med school, residency.....Who'll want to hire a 49 year old? When I was a kid, I didn't fantasize about my wedding, the only white outfit I fantasized was a doctor's coat...but, I screwed up when I was young and I feel like it's a my scarlet letter.
My undergrad GPA is around 2.99 with really bad grades in the first two years especially in the sciences/math courses I took as part of the GE requirements...excellent performance at grad school, 12 years of professional experience.....will start a postbac pre-med program (nonformal) through UCLA extension and I am sure I'll do really well if I quit my job and just focus on my classes and studying for the MCAT. I'm afraid to quit my job...ironically(?) enough cause I don't want to give up my excellent medical coverage at work.
Anyway...am I nuts? This isn't a near mid life existential thing. I like my job, but I want more....I want to be a doctor! I'm realistic and aware of my capabilities. I have maturity, confidence, and life experience....it's got count for something when it comes time to compete with all those over achieving neurotic 22 year olds that have no idea how to work with others and deal with situations where they can't pull a book and look up the answers. My apologies to all the 22 year olds out there if you're reading this. I say these things with experience....I've "interned" (volunteer position) at UCLA's careextenders and I can't even imagine putting my life in the hands of someone with so little life experience.
Sorry for the long note.Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
I love this website and hope that some of you fellow non-trads can help me out here. I work as a school psychologist...tenured position, basically work about 9 months/year, 8-4 pm, no weekends/evenings, 85k, great retirement, ...I am financially comfortable (lots of equity, little debt)..no children, no husband, & no real desire to settle for the sake of settling....Sorry-I'll get to the point. I'm willing to give it all up if I knew I had a chance of getting into med school....and then get a descent job post med school. I'm figuring I'll be 49 by the time I finish my pre-req, possible glide year, med school, residency.....Who'll want to hire a 49 year old? When I was a kid, I didn't fantasize about my wedding, the only white outfit I fantasized was a doctor's coat...but, I screwed up when I was young and I feel like it's a my scarlet letter.
My undergrad GPA is around 2.99 with really bad grades in the first two years especially in the sciences/math courses I took as part of the GE requirements...excellent performance at grad school, 12 years of professional experience.....will start a postbac pre-med program (nonformal) through UCLA extension and I am sure I'll do really well if I quit my job and just focus on my classes and studying for the MCAT. I'm afraid to quit my job...ironically(?) enough cause I don't want to give up my excellent medical coverage at work.
Anyway...am I nuts? This isn't a near mid life existential thing. I like my job, but I want more....I want to be a doctor! I'm realistic and aware of my capabilities. I have maturity, confidence, and life experience....it's got count for something when it comes time to compete with all those over achieving neurotic 22 year olds that have no idea how to work with others and deal with situations where they can't pull a book and look up the answers. My apologies to all the 22 year olds out there if you're reading this. I say these things with experience....I've "interned" (volunteer position) at UCLA's careextenders and I can't even imagine putting my life in the hands of someone with so little life experience.
Sorry for the long note.Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

