3rd/4th year planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SxRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for MS3/4 year sequence of rotations?

1) If I decide to go for say radiology (or any other non primary care specialty)....I've heard that you can do 1-2 away rotations in the specialty you are interested in right after your MS2 year. This way you can collect LORs, have some experience in the specialty....then take Step 2 and SubIs. Is this about right?

2) The reason I ask is that someone had said that do SubI right after M2 year, then do your away rotation so that you can do well in it. But another suggested that if you are going into stuff like radiology doing a SubI in IM isn't going to make you do any better in radiology away rotation.....any thoughts?

A final thought...I noticed that for some odd reason people in medicine have a less of "customer oriented attitude" than other fields. I mean, if you acted the say some nurses and physicians acted to patients in the business setting you wouldn't have any business! Just an observation as I started my M3 year recently....

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions for MS3/4 year sequence of rotations?

A final thought...I noticed that for some odd reason people in medicine have a less of "customer oriented attitude" than other fields. I mean, if you acted the say some nurses and physicians acted to patients in the business setting you wouldn't have any business! Just an observation as I started my M3 year recently....

Going to the doctor isn't like buying a new car or going to the grocery store or renting a room at the Hyatt hotel. People who are ill are not our "customers" they are our patients. They deserve to be treated well not because of monetary reasons (as in the term business) but because of professional obligation, ethical duty and for social justice reasons. I'm not going to give my patients respect and empathy because I want to "drive business" to the medical center! That is a ridiculous idea. :cool:

If MD's and RN's are not having a great day and are not treating patients the way you (who just started your clinical years) think they should be treated, take note of that so you can avoid that behavior way later when you are the one "providing" the services. Take note of the docs who do treat patients well and try to mirror them.

Anyway--question 1:
are you actually thinking about radiology? if you are you should talk to some residents in radiology, ask them what rotation order they did. If you just started third year why do you need to worry about planning fourth year? don't you have a shelf exam coming up?

and question 2: I'm pretty sure you don't take SUBI after M2 year. Maybe you mean M3. You in general want to do a rotation at your home institution in something related to your field that you've chosen before you go to another institution (on an 'audition' rotation) and make a total butt of yourself. :idea:

When I say customer service I don't mean to view patients as customers and a mean to drive business.
Secondly, I've worked in hospitals for over 10 years as a licensed professional and worked alongside doctors nurses. I've treated patients in hospital settings for over 10 years and many of my colleagues in my pre-med school career have done so for more years than I. Yet, I've never (or people I've worked with in my previous career) spoken to patients the way I see docs/nurses do in the medicine world. Now that I'm on the inside perhaps I'm seeing it 1st hand. But, seeing how some (not most) and many nurses talk to patients and to someone they feel is below them in ranking is a bit strange to me. So this is not a view point from a typical newby.

I'm a bit puzzled by the overall tone of your reply. "If you just started third year why do you need to worry about planning fourth year? don't you have a shelf exam coming up?" HUH? Why is it so wrong to ask questions about what to do? Also what you said here in " You in general want to do a rotation at your home institution in something related to your field that you've chosen before you go to another institution (on an 'audition' rotation) and make a total butt of yourself." I don't get why you come off this way.

Your posts are a little confusing.

1) What is this difference in talking that you refer to? You describe it vaguely. Nobody really knows what you mean. Just blurt it out specifically.

2) I think most people do a rotation at their home institution before an away audition so that they have some experience before trying to make an impression at a foreign place. jackieMD2007 wasn't coming off as rude at all. I think it's standard procedure and you might have just misinterpreted it.

3) You haven't addressed the subI after M2 thing. That doesn't exist.