I can not decide on 3rd year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 electives and I picked MICU for the other one. I'm thinking I might potentially be interested in peds but PICU/PEM are not available, only things like peds derm/heme-onc/PM&R etc are available and all so specialized. My school doesn't do a CORE rotation in anesthesia, so I was thinking maybe anesthesia? I also don't really have an interest in that field but I also don't know anything about the field, either. Should I pick something that's specialized or something general? I'm been ruminating on this and unfortunately we have to decide without even having started 3rd year yet. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW I think it's absolutely worth doing an anesthesia elective if you really don't get any time primarily on that service. We had a 2 week block as part of our surgery rotation. I thought it was nice to see a somewhat different way of thinking about patients and also that's the rotation where you're most likely to be allowed to intubate as a med student which is a skill that's obviously applicable to other specialties as well.