3rd and 4th year at AZCOM clarified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azcomdiddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enough mudslinging. Let's get down to details. We all want to make informed decisions. Let's get rid of the myths and get down to details. Let's expand on this quote.

Boomer wrote

If you're planning on doing a fourth year IM at Good Sam, I'm pretty sure they won't accept Tempe St. Luke's or Mesa General toward their "8 weeks of IM in a teaching hospital" requirement.

Also, kind of hard to swallow "hospital based" rotations in OB or IM in places that don't even have OB or IM residencies.(reference to Tempe St. Lukes hospital)

Would more AZCOM students expand on this. What are some other sites in the Phoenix metropolitan area in which we can do HOSPITAL BASED rotations during THIRD YEAR?

Is or isn't Tempe St. Lukes a hospital based rotation? How is it classified? It doesn't seem like it if Good Sam hospital won't accept it as credit?

Can we do all Hospital Based rotations in the Phoenix metropolitan area during third year or must we travel?

Members don't see this ad.

Its travel time baby...at least if you want to go to a teaching hospital.

Why don't you get the class together and ask clin ed? This board isn't going to satisfy your inquiries.

EDIT: I dunno wtf Tempe St. Lukes is, but I heard its a joke. Don't waste your time. Unless you don't care, then go for it. You'll be ditching out in no time flat.

Originally posted by VentdependenT
Its travel time baby...at least if you want to go to a teaching hospital.

Why don't you get the class together and ask clin ed? This board isn't going to satisfy your inquiries.

That's actually a good idea. There is a lot of us that are confused. I'll look into that. Thanks for the feedback though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by azcomdiddy
Enough mudslinging. Let's get down to details. We all want to make informed decisions. Let's get rid of the myths and get down to details. Let's expand on this quote.

Boomer wrote

If you're planning on doing a fourth year IM at Good Sam, I'm pretty sure they won't accept Tempe St. Luke's or Mesa General toward their "8 weeks of IM in a teaching hospital" requirement.

Also, kind of hard to swallow "hospital based" rotations in OB or IM in places that don't even have OB or IM residencies.(reference to Tempe St. Lukes hospital)

Would more AZCOM students expand on this. What are some other sites in the Phoenix metropolitan area in which we can do HOSPITAL BASED rotations during THIRD YEAR?

Is or isn't Tempe St. Lukes a hospital based rotation? How is it classified? It doesn't seem like it if Good Sam hospital won't accept it as credit?

Can we do all Hospital Based rotations in the Phoenix metropolitan area during third year or must we travel?

I don't think there are any besides Tempe St Luke's for next year now that Mesa General is getting out of being a teaching hospital...

And it's most likely true that Good Sam doesn't count Tempe St luke's as hospital based. The best place to find out what Good Sam counts, though, is to call up their clinical ed department directly. Some of what we hear from our clinical ed is not the most up-to-date info.

I do believe, however, that TSL will count as hospital based for St Joe's and anywhere else, for that matter.

Latest rumor is that Good Sam won't even count Doctor's hospital rotations in Ohio for peds, either. Oh crap. Maybe that was PCH won't count them. Sorry I don't remember.

Regardless, though, it's a really good idea to call Good Sam directly.

Do not go to doctor's hospital for peds. It sucks. Volume is so low its scary. Most of their residents now do most of their rotations at grant's childrens hospital....I think thats the name.

5 patient census on the peds floor...yikes. Whats worse is there is a Sr. resident, a Jr. resident, and intern, and a couple of medical students all there to cover the whopping 5-6 patients.

I wouldn't count it as a ped rotation. Their level II neonatal unit was a good experience though.

Do not go to doctor's hospital for peds. It sucks. Volume is so low its scary. Most of their residents now do most of their rotations at grant's childrens hospital....I think thats the name.

5 patient census on the peds floor...yikes. Whats worse is there is a Sr. resident, a Jr. resident, and intern, and a couple of medical students all there to cover the whopping 5-6 patients.

I wouldn't count it as a ped rotation. Their level II neonatal unit was a good experience though.

wow. good to know. No wonder it's not counted.

:eek:

Do we HAVE to do our IM rotations in Phoenix--I hope not? I was planning on going home to Chicago to do them. I want a Cardiology Fellowship, so I want IM experience in better known hospitals than those offered to us in Phoenix.

Originally posted by irish79
Do we HAVE to do our IM rotations in Phoenix--I hope not? I was planning on going home to Chicago to do them. I want a Cardiology Fellowship, so I want IM experience in better known hospitals than those offered to us in Phoenix.

Totally. GO to Chicago. I'm doing a few there this summer and I have gotten very good responses from 2 programs there.

You want the hospital based rotation in IM anyway, if you can swing it. If you have an easy way to go out of state, do it.

What 2 programs have you had good response from Kristing? I agree, hospital based IM is important if I'm going to land a good, University based categorical IM spot.

Originally posted by irish79
What 2 programs have you had good response from Kristing? I agree, hospital based IM is important if I'm going to land a good, University based categorical IM spot.

I liked Lutheran General and Christ hospital. Granted, I was looking into peds, so it's a different department, but the people there were really nice. I've also gotten good responses from the MWU program in Kalamazoo, MI, which is only 2 hours away from Chicago.

good luck!

Mind if I ask when you at Doctors? Was it in the summer or spring months? I'm scheduled to be there for peds in November, and I heard that the patient load is pretty good that time of year. An AZCOM MSIII friend of mine was there at that time last year. He told me he had a good experience.