3rd and 4th year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biology101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what exactly happens in the 3rd and 4th years outside of going to rotations? Does one interact with their school/classmates?

Members don't see this ad.

So what exactly happens in the 3rd and 4th years outside of going to rotations? Does one interact with their school/classmates?

I am an MSIV at LECOM-Erie, so this just goes for my school but I think most are pretty similar.

3rd year: "MSIII"--> This year you do rotations in the "core things" such as OB-Gyn, General Surgery(two months), Internal Medicine(three months), Family Medicine(two months), and then we have a couple Primary Care selectives we can do in a range of primary care areas with anyone we contact. There are also some electives in there that we can do anywhere in the country with any physician. During this year we take Shelf exams on the core rotations about every three months, we must pass the standard that LECOM-Erie sets for us. You get three chances to pass these exams, if you can't pass then they give you a chance to retake the entire year over again...

4th year: "MSIV"--> This year you have some required rotations: Emergency Medicine (two months), Ambulatory rotations (clinic medicine for 2 months), Rural Underserved rotations (1 month). Then we have numerous electives that you primarily want to use to go see places you would be interested in doing a residency with. Match is in early February, and then after that it's cruise control! (granted you match...) Usually people take the Step II Board exams (written and oral) during 4th year. You do have the option, however, to take these exams during 3rd year.

Hope that helps!