3rd cycle advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolfpeter

Reaction score
Posted one of these before but I think I removed it. Third cycle, want to ensure my school list is strong and I don’t have any large flaws in my application, any advice is appreciated. For most schools I will be only a 2nd time applicant. I was planning on a third cycle and only applied just MI state schools and Carle before my mcat expired this year. Currently waitlisted at Carle and Western Michigan, no other II.
  1. cGPA 3.84
  2. sGPA 3.91
  3. Jan 2021 - 518 (131/129/129/129)
  4. Michigan
  5. ORM
  6. University of Michigan
  7. 600 hours surgical assistant at an oral surgery clinic. 50 hours patient technology volunteer at children’s hospital (2nd cycle only) 560 hours as a CNA in a hospital (3rd cycle only)
  8. Basic science lab, 1300 hours, 1 mid author pub and a few mid author posters/conferences.
  9. 40 hours family medicine and endocrinology. (2nd cycle)
  10. 135 hours tutoring underserved children. 100 hours shelter volunteer (2nd and 3rd cycle only)
  11. 160 hours in a leadership position on a medical device design extracurricular. 400 hours as TA for biochem class, 200 hours Pit orchestra musician
  12. Generic gpa based awards
  13. I have one activity I’m not sure how to classify as clinical or non clinical. It’s a program that owns a residential house and offers elderly care to people who don’t have family and can’t afford a nursing home. It’s run only by volunteers who help cook, clean the house, ensure medications are taken on schedule and otherwise enrich the residents. Is this clinical or non-clinical? I felt like I was doing a lot of home health style work but other than an on call CNA, there wasn’t any medical personnel or treatment happening. I had classified this as clinical for my small application this cycle. I’ve been here for 170 hours
As far as what I’m planning to do now, I’m still working as a full time CNA while volunteering at the shelter on the weekends. I will most likely start picking up more volunteering shifts to get 100 additional hours by June. Probably need 10-20 more shadowing hours too, will try to leverage a job connection.

I’m registered to retake the mcat this may and have began studying. Most Michigan schools require an mcat within the last 3 years so I don’t feel like I can just apply to only schools it’s valid at.

Western Michigan does accept updates and I only briefly mentioned my CNA job in the interview. I plan to submit an update this week on my past 6 months, maybe it help push me off the waitlist in the coming months

I will be applying DO but don’t know much about out of state DO schools any recommendations would be much appreciated.

First cycle:
Carle - II -> R

Current cycle:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan - WL
Oakland Beaumont
Carle - WL

Upcoming cycle:
U Michigan
Michigan State MD & DO
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Carle
Medical College Wisconsin
Vermont
Ohio state
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
New York Medical College
Albany
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
St Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

What we wrote.

Activity 13 is non clinical. Is it the same as your 100 hours of shelter work?

You applied 2x to Carle, right? Where else? Three times is not always the charm so these schools want you to hit a home run. Some schools will not favorably on reapplicants after 3 times.

Any comments about your oral surgery employment?

Good luck with the two waitlists you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response,

Activity 13 is a different organization then the shelter work.

It will be a 3rd time for all Michigan schools except Central and MSU DO. I sent primaries to a few Ohio schools as well (Toledo, Cincinnati and OSU) but ended up withdrawing before completing their secondaries.

No one commented on the oral surgery job during my interview. The feedback I got from Carle after the first cycle was to gain additional activities/experience and to work on my writing, specifically in my work/activities section. Any recommendations for resources I can use to review my writing outside of having friends, family, and other professional connections read it?

Members don't see this ad :)
The feedback I got from Carle after the first cycle was to gain additional activities/experience and to work on my writing, specifically in my work/activities section. Any recommendations for resources I can use to review my writing outside of having friends, family, and other professional connections read it?
Did you use our volunteers? We have a running thread on Work/Activities each cycle. I also run Becoming a Student Doctor.

Did you use our volunteers? We have a running thread on Work/Activities each cycle. I also run Becoming a Student Doctor.
I did have a couple volunteers read my personal statement this past cycle, I will be asking them again and should also look into getting my work and activities reviewed. Thank you again for the response!