3rd Interview at the same school; do I bring it up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gormegil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my third application cycle. This year, I FINALLY recieved an acceptance from another program, so the pressure is not as high. For the past two years, I have been interviewed, put on hold, and ultimately rejected by my top choice (which is also a top tier school... This process is pure insanity). I am interviewing for a third time next week. Apparently they have been stressing honesty, integrity, and candidness to interviewees. I would obviously not lie about my experience, but I am going back and forth on how willing I should be to approach or bring up the topic. This school interviews a relatively small proportion of their applicants, so I feel good about being there... But still. It’s an odd situation.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same boat as you and interviewed for a 3rd time at my top choice (albeit not a top tier) and finally got in this time around!

I think it's something you should be willing to discuss openly if it comes up organically during the interview. I definitely wouldn't try to shoehorn it in there since there tends to be a bias against reapplicants, especially at top tier schools. Be able to discuss maturely what changed between your application cycles and critically reflect on what may have gone wrong the first 2 times. Under no circumstances should you get defensive or try to shift blame to some other party. Also be prepared to answer the question of what you would do if you didn't get in this time around.

Congrats on your interview and best of luck! Hope it works out for you :)

Thanks for your insight! It’s always encouraging to know I’m not the only one who took 3 tries...
I was in the same boat as you and interviewed for a 3rd time at my top choice (albeit not a top tier) and finally got in this time around!

I think it's something you should be willing to discuss openly if it comes up organically during the interview. I definitely wouldn't try to shoehorn it in there since there tends to be a bias against reapplicants, especially at top tier schools. Be able to discuss maturely what changed between your application cycles and critically reflect on what may have gone wrong the first 2 times. Under no circumstances should you get defensive or try to shift blame to some other party. Also be prepared to answer the question of what you would do if you didn't get in this time around.

Congrats on your interview and best of luck! Hope it works out for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight! It’s always encouraging to know I’m not the only one who took 3 tries...
Also a 3 timer and I'm graduating this year. Congrats on sticking it out and getting that Acceptance!!! You earned it. The school knows you're a 3rd timer, so definitely dont hide it. If you have a good story about growth and change through the 3 cycles, definitely use that to your advantage, but focus on the positives. Might be an okay time to say this is your third time and you finally got an acceptance. Not to brag, but to show them that it's their last shot to get you as a student and that another program also thinks you're ready. More than anything, congrats and good luck!

I'd play the my card spinning the idea about how much I've grown over the years... don't come out and say anything about being your 3rd interview unless they bring it up. I mean your interviewer might be aware of it already

Don't bring it up, but have an answer ready.

They shouldn't think anything negative about you if they don't need to. If you say its your third focus on how you've grown. If they want specifics about "why you thought you didn't get in" mention a deficiency and show how you've corrected it.