3rd time applicant, LOW gpa, RVT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapplication

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is my third year applying and I’m pretty discouraged because of the past 2 attempts (all rejects, one interview with Western).

Im a 26 F from CA. This will be my third time applying, so far I plan on applying to Western, Wisconsin, Davis, Ohio, Iowa and Colorado. Just looking for some feedback on my chances (and whether any of the schools I’m considering aren’t a good option).
Cumulative GPA: 3.20 undergrad
science GPA: 3.29

Any degrees achieved
B.S. in Animal Science

Veterinary Experience:
  • Around 3000 hours as an RVT - licensed since 2/2022 in CA
  • Around 4000 hours as a veterinary assistant
both at an emergency and specialty animal hospital.

Animal Experience:
  • Dog handler at boarding facility (no veterinarian)
  • course assistant for Veterinary Enterprise in college
  • FFA Secretary in high school, breeding and showing Berkshire pigs
Research Experience:
  • None currently
Awards/scholarships:
  • Dean’s list twice in undergrad
  • National black farmers association scholarship recipient 2 years

Extracurriculars:
  • Academic decathlon for 2 years in HS with 2 medals
  • Varsity tennis doubles for 2 years in HS
  • Vice president visual arts and music society (VAMS)
Recommendations are all from veterinarians I’ve worked closely with that I trust will write me good ones. I feel my essay is pretty strong, my GPA is my main concern. I know I can raise it with post grad classes but with work/bills/life, I sadly don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you set up the file review with the admissions and what is you last 45 gpa? Sadly I would say your chance will be held up due to the GPA though. I met some people that had similar status like you and they did the file review. Admission told them to raise their gpa but they refused to do it and not diversified their experience either. The outcome was rejections 3 years in a row, and they gave up pursuing to vet school. I would suggest ideally is to raise up your GPA. But if you can’t do it whatever reason, I highly recommend to gain different experience other than small animals. I assume your experience are mostly small animals? You can intern at the zoo, volunteer at the research center, or shadowing with large animal vets to show you are well-understand of vet field. You can also apply to more holistic schools such Caribbean schools, LMU or Midwestern, etc. The experience might help you stand out more than other schools. Hopefully other people can give you better idea and feedback. Good luck on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
My last 45 GPA is 3.73.
I haven’t done a file review but I’m sure they’ll tell me the same things - diversify my experience and improve my GPA. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes you get admitted by showing you are teachable and accept feedback from your faculty. It may not be what you want to hear or do, but if you want it, you just have to do it. Get the file review, but have specific questions on the type of additional diverse experience you have available to you (or what should you do if you cannot find such experiences).

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! How do I find out which schools have a file review? I only remember one or two maybe mentioning it a whole back but can’t seem to find anything online currently. Probably because applications are still underway.

Thank you! How do I find out which schools have a file review? I only remember one or two maybe mentioning it a whole back but can’t seem to find anything online currently. Probably because applications are still underway.
You might have to call or email them one by one. File reviews usually don't list on the website. They should be able to look at your application from the last cycle but almost every school they don't provide an application review for the current cycle until the final decision is made next year. Since the current cycle has not finished yet, I assume admission might have time to go over things with you from the last cycle. They are getting busy after the application deadline.

Last edited:
Thank you. I did already submit to 4/6 schools I had planned on applying to so I may wait until decisions are made for this cycle to do a file review. I appreciate the feedback from both commenters though!

Hello!
Wisconsin and Colorado are pretty competive schools. I would look at schools that consider your last 45 GPA more. I would look at applying to UMN. If you have any grade replacements, SDSU, Iowa and UMN do grade replacements. I second the comment about looking at LMU too, and I would consider applying at Mississippi as well. LMU has a spring and fall cohort now ( 225 spots/ year now).I think you will have a pretty good shot at LMU this cycle. I don’t have much experience with the other schools.