3rd time reapp 3.65/517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arturiase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently sitting on 1 bottom tier waitlist and 1 unknown ranked wait list but chances are pretty slim. Just wondering what I should do this year to improve my app? I worked as a scribe in a clinic daily for the past year and I don't think im learning anything new anymore so looking for something else.

Stats and junk: Cgpa 3.65 Sgpa 3.7 , only MCAT spring 2016 517 130/130/130/127. ORM, NO IA. Have one withdraw from summer orgo class, and one from Differential eq in high school.Have done Research for three summers as well as one semester senior year. Also have volunteered at childrens hospital for around 200 hours. Have some other small volunteer activites ~100 hours or so and have around 100+ hours of shadowing. Probably have accumulated 1000+ hours in the IM clinic as a scribe this past year.

First app cycle: 1 interview state school rejected.

This cycle: 4 interviews MU, UMKC, SLU, and CUSM but only 2 waitlist at MU and SLU.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your school list both times? Have you asked the schools you were wait-listed at for feedback?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University School of Medicine
California University of Science and Medicine Regular
Creighton University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell Regular M.D.
Drexel University College of Medicine Regular M.D.
Eastern Virginia Medical School Regular M.D.
Emory University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California Regular M.D.
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University Regular M.D.
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici Regular M.D.
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Regular M.D.
Quinnipiac University SOM Regular M.D.
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont Regular M.D.
Rush Medical College Regular M.D.
Saint Louis University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian Regular M.D.
Tufts University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Yes Tulane University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
M.D. No University of Missouri - Kansas City Regular M.D.
No University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine Regular M.D.
nieversity of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Regular M.D.
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den Regular M.D.
Yes University of Virginia School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Regular M.D.
No Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

and MO is resident state

Many interviews with no acceptances... time to practice interview/people skills. Also have someone rip your secondaries apart before you send them.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea I agree but I don't think I got that many interviews only my state schools. Maybe my secondaries could use some work. Also looking for ideas to do this coming year.

Yea I agree but I don't think I got that many interviews only my state schools. Maybe my secondaries could use some work. Also looking for ideas to do this coming year.
Did you get feedback directly from those schools?

Maybe work on your PS/secondaries? How are your interview skills? You could also use more non clinical volunteering, on a consistent basis

Add these schools when you reapply
New York Medical College
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who was chilling on 7 waitlists for awhile I can tell you that this process
Currently sitting on 1 bottom tier waitlist and 1 unknown ranked wait list but chances are pretty slim. Just wondering what I should do this year to improve my app? I worked as a scribe in a clinic daily for the past year and I don't think im learning anything new anymore so looking for something else.

Stats and junk: Cgpa 3.65 Sgpa 3.7 , only MCAT spring 2016 517 130/130/130/127. ORM, NO IA. Have one withdraw from summer orgo class, and one from Differential eq in high school.Have done Research for three summers as well as one semester senior year. Also have volunteered at childrens hospital for around 200 hours. Have some other small volunteer activites ~100 hours or so and have around 100+ hours of shadowing. Probably have accumulated 1000+ hours in the IM clinic as a scribe this past year.

This cycle: 4 interviews MU, UMKC, SLU, and CUSM but only 2 waitlist at MU and SLU.

As someone who was chilling on 7 waitlists for awhile I can tell you that this process is absolutely crazy and random. You need to just persist my friend. The best thing you can do is have a close friend who is a med student or resident that has applied within the past 5 years or so look at your essays especially. DM me if you want advice. Best of luck!

Thanks ill add those to my list. Any ideas on what I should do this coming year while applying?

Your results do not make sense with your profile (grades+GPA+ECs), which should be solid at the schools you're applying to. It sounds like there is a red flag somewhere in either your application or your interviews, such as an inappropriate essay or something you're systematically doing wrong at interviews, or else a negative letter of recommendation. I would ask someone to read over your application carefully, and maybe reach out to your letter writers to see if they are able to write a strong essay. It may even be worth asking someone who is authorized to do so, such as the premed committee at your school, to read your letters and comment yes/no on whether you should get new letters (they may not agree to do this, but worth a shot).

Your results do not make sense with your profile (grades+GPA+ECs), which should be solid at the schools you're applying to. It sounds like there is a red flag somewhere in either your application or your interviews, such as an inappropriate essay or something you're systematically doing wrong at interviews, or else a negative letter of recommendation. I would ask someone to read over your application carefully, and maybe reach out to your letter writers to see if they are able to write a strong essay. It may even be worth asking someone who is authorized to do so, such as the premed committee at your school, to read your letters and comment yes/no on whether you should get new letters (they may not agree to do this, but worth a shot).

Thats what i have wondered but I'm not sure. I asked my committee last cycle if my letters were bad and they said there were no red flags. I don't think my interviews were that bad but I guess I can't really gauge it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what i have wondered but I'm not sure. I asked my committee last cycle if my letters were bad and they said there were no red flags. I don't think my interviews were that bad but I guess I can't really gauge it.
You’re getting interviews. But then they’re not translating into acceptances. That really makes me think the interview is where you struggle.

You need to apply to DO schools at this point. Is there a reason CUSM didn't waitlist you as well? I was under the impression they waitlisted nearly everyone so there might be a red flag in your app.

You need to apply to DO schools at this point. Is there a reason CUSM didn't waitlist you as well? I was under the impression they waitlisted nearly everyone so there might be a red flag in your app.

I have no clue I basically got silence from them I think it was because I was in the very first interview group so I never was signed up in their portal system. I had to email them to get a resposne adn all they told me was we filled our accepted slots and we are still deciding on who to put on the waitlist. Never gotanything else after that so idk if i was put on waitlist but just assumed it was rejection

I have no clue I basically got silence from them I think it was because I was in the very first interview group so I never was signed up in their portal system. I had to email them to get a resposne adn all they told me was we filled our accepted slots and we are still deciding on who to put on the waitlist. Never gotanything else after that so idk if i was put on waitlist but just assumed it was rejection

Hmm I don't think you were rejected then but just waitlisted and they ended up never sending you the email.

Also you can still make an account with the portal to check your status even though they didn't give you an official login.

If you are getting waitlisted from your state schools and no interviews from other schools with those stats, I would look to secondaries and interviews as your issues

I agree with adding the following schools as well as having multiple people look over your secondaries and maybe doing mock interviews to see if your interview skills need any work. Maybe you just didn't apply to enough schools, who knows. I was on the Adcom of one the below schools a few years back and your file from what I can see at least would put you in the running for an II but you file does seem very generic. Do you have a passion or substantial involvement with anything outside of medicine/healthcare related stuff? If not, I suggest you find something like that to do this year that would make you less cookie cutter.

Add these schools when you reapply
New York Medical College
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth

I agree with adding the following schools as well as having multiple people look over your secondaries and maybe doing mock interviews to see if your interview skills need any work. Maybe you just didn't apply to enough schools, who knows. I was on the Adcom of one the below schools a few years back and your file from what I can see at least would put you in the running for an II but you file does seem very generic. Do you have a passion or substantial involvement with anything outside of medicine/healthcare related stuff? If not, I suggest you find something like that to do this year that would make you less cookie cutter.

Yea I have been told that before and I agree, I don't have much outside of that. Im not really sure what to do or how to find something since im out of college.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has looked at my thread I appreciate the feedback. So far this is my current school list.

Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Drexel University College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth Regular
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Regular M.D.
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo Regular
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University Regular M.D.
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Regular M.D.
Saint Louis University School of Medicine Regular M.D
Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian Regular M.D.
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University Regular M.D.
Tufts University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine Regular M.D.
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine Regular M.D.
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Weill Cornell Medicine Regular M.D.
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

I don't see any service to marginalized/underserved communities. I think a healthy dose of this would improve your application a lot

Based on your stats either PS, secondaries, or interviews are pretty bad (or some combination thereof). Have someone go over them with a fine-toothed comb and practice interviews repeatedly.