3rd Year DO Student Interested in the Following Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

why_do_trees_grow_up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 3rd year student at a DO school that has a fairly good reputation and usually has 3-4 students match ortho every year. Scores are the following:

USMLE: 240
COMLEX: 601

I'm interested in the following programs and plan on doing my auditions at each in no particular order:

- Largo Medical Center
- Pinnacle Health
- Doctors Hospital
- Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital
- Wellmont Health System

I know my scores are competitive enough to get me an audition at these places; however, are they strong enough for me to seriously be considered a candidate for their program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a year behind you and have no advice but would love updates on how auditions went for ya

- Largo Medical Center
- Pinnacle Health
- Doctors Hospital
- Wellmont Health System

Several of those you mentioned will also be high on my list, see ya out there buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a 3rd year student at a DO school that has a fairly good reputation and usually has 3-4 students match ortho every year. Scores are the following:

I'm interested in the following programs and plan on doing my auditions at each in no particular order:

- Largo Medical Center
- Pinnacle Health
- Doctors Hospital
- Wellmont Health System

I know my scores are competitive enough to get me an audition at these places; however, are they strong enough for me to seriously be considered a candidate for their program. Thanks!

Board scores are definitely a great predictor of your chances to match at many programs, especially with the merger upon us. I have very similar step 1 scores, with a COMLEX step 2 in the 700's and scores were never brought up as an issue in my interviews so far. The only question has been "600 to 700+ between step 1 to 2, what'd you do to improve?" That being said, they're important, but with your numbers IMO you'll be fine at most programs since in the DO world, much of the interview decisions and ranking is based on your audition. I rotated at two of your programs of interest and know about the others. In general, when I thought programs were "big" on boards, they wanted 700+ on both steps (Toledo, [Des Peres when it was around], etc).

Largo: Don't think they're very big on boards. These guys are very down to earth from what a friend has told me, so you need to audition there and be like-able with your scores.

Pinnacle: Traditionally likes higher scores, but with yours, assuming you clear 600 on step 2, you will be fine....However, you need to know your ortho and shine on auditions. They interviewed 22 of us this year and rotated 80+. Do not go later than September as their interview list (and rank order IMO) were made up by October, before interviews.

Doctors: Don't know much, but definitely an academic program so would expect stellar board scores and you should have some kind of research.

Jack Hughston: Great program from what I hear, was scheduled to go but cancelled for personal reasons unfortunately. I would imagine you need good scores here and a good audition. They will interview a bunch of non-rotators, but outside of OSU-Tulsa, I haven't heard of a program matching a non-rotator.

Wellmont: Rotated here, great program, best group of residents on my trail. Definitely a growing program with improvements in the works. They're blue collar, so while you should have good numbers, they want you to truly be a normal guy and work hard. MUST rotate here to get an interview.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! or PM if they're more detailed...

Reactions: 1 user
Figured I could just post this here since I did start this thread myself. But I feel like this might be helpful for DO ortho hopefuls gearing up for auditions. Recently came across and wanted to share with the rest of the community

http://whitecoatcoaching.com/

- Largo Medical Center
- Pinnacle Health
- Doctors Hospital
- Wellmont Health System

I noticed Largo hasn't applied for re-accredidation. Does this mean that they not be taking applicants this year? Anyway, best of luck to you, I'm also interested in some of these programs and have pretty similar stats.