3rd year interested in 2 specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymed2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student. I will be setting up my 4th year ADT rotations soon. However, I am torn between two specialties at this time. I have been interested in EM for a long time, since working in the ED as an pre-med. However, I will not have the option to rotate in the ED this year. Also, I have really enjoyed my FM rotation so far and now I am considering this as an option as well. Furthermore, I still have not had my IM or Peds rotations so I cannot make an educated decision yet about these fields due to limited exposure.

I know EM is competitive, and I have heard that the best strategy to be able to get an interview rotation is to apply for the ADT rotations on New Years day. However, I am concerned that I may end up deciding on another specialty after I get to really experience the ED as a medical student for the first time.

Any advice for me from others who have been in this situation? How have past years students dealt with this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

*Bump
And to clarify. Is it reccomended to set up my ADTs in EM and FM so I have more information to base my specialty choice on or 2 EM rotations since that is traditionally more competitive than FM?

I wish I had some great advice for you, but, as you're figuring out, the Army match is unforgiving on people in your situation. Not only is it earlier than the regular match, but it will require you to commit fully to one specialty in your rank list before considering another. With that in mind, I believe there are only 3 Army programs (depending on whether or not you're required to rank the program at Georgia Regents University?), which would allow you to shoot for EM but still rank FM programs as a back-up. Obviously, this does you no good if you ultimately don't want to be a family practitioner, but it's a good way to avoid GMO land if 1) you can't stand the thought of disrupting your training and/or 2) EM is only slightly ahead of FM in your mind. Conversely, if you choose FM, then the entirely of your rank order list will be filled with FM programs.