3rd year med student looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Total180

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a 3rd year osteopathic medical student, and was hoping to get some advice on how I should proceed with my education/training. I received a 505 on COMLEX step 1 and did not take USMLE step 1. I am fairly positive I want to do pediatrics, and am wondering where to go from here. I am finishing up my core rotations in February and am thinking of scheduling step 2 for April or so. I was wondering if it would be advantageous to take USMLE step 2 along with the COMLEX, or would it not really be looked at? I am hoping to apply primarily to allopathic programs. With my average COMLEX score, would that be safe to do, or should I look into AOA programs as well? Obviously, I will look at all of them and make a decision based on what I think is best for me, but I didn't know if it would be a risk to primarily look at ACGME programs with an average COMLEX and no USMLE.

I know these questions are asked all the time, and it depends on a lot of factors...I'm not sure what else residency directors look at besides clinical rotation grades. I speak Spanish, have research experience from in between undergrad and medical school that has yet to be published (although we have been kind've trying to get something written....not sure if it will really happen though, and it is related to drug dependence which is not particularly relevant to pediatrics), and I am a part of a few clubs/programs at school, but not a lot really. Are extracurricular things looked at at all when it comes to who to interview/rank? When do people usually do audition rotations? Do you have to schedule them a long time beforehand? I'm not even sure how to go about looking up and researching programs....our advisors aren't very helpful, so I am feeling completely lost when it comes to what to do after my core rotations are over.

Sorry for the length, thanks for any advice you are able to give :).

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you! It sounds like you have a strong overall application and will get good training. I'm honestly not sure about COMPLEX vs USMLE, so I'd ask others who have been through the process. My feeling (and it's just that) is that taking the USMLE will help, but I'm not positive.

As far as what programs are looking for, it's a whole package kind of thing. They want someone who is going to be eager to learn, willing to work hard, and will get along well with others. Extracurriculars are looked at, but won't make or break you in terms of getting a spot somewhere. Research does help, but it's also not a necessity. I think strong letters of rec are a big thing.

Away rotations are nice because if you're interested in a specific place, you can see whether you are really interested. It also gives you face time. But keep in mind that you have to be very impressive and lack of shine can work against you. You can still match somewhere without an away rotation. I tend to like aways because they give you sense of how other institutions do things. They do take some advance planning, and often the most popular rotations (like infectious disease or emergency medicine) are taken early.

If you're researching programs, think about whether you want a large, medium or smaller program. There are advantages and disadvantages to each depending on what you're looking for. Where would you like to live? Do you want to work with fellows a lot? There are a TON of great programs out there.