3rd year med student memoir

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hatch

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello--
I have recently published a memoir of my experiences as a third-year medical student and wanted to let your forum know. It's called "Blind Man's Marathon," and tries to give a blow-by-blow account of the most important year of medical school--or indeed, perhaps a physician's entire career. It may be of interest to pre-med students who want to have a sense of what the first clinical year feels like.
Attached below is a blurb. The book can be purchased online at amazon.com for $18. Please feel free to send me feedback.
Thanks,
Steven Hatch, MD
Fellow, Infectious Diseases, University of Massachusetts Med Center

BLIND MAN'S MARATHON:
a journey through the third year of medical school

a hilarious and biting account of the third year of medical school-the first "true" year, where eager-eyed but utterly ignorant apprentice physicians are released from the library and unleashed on unsuspecting patients.

describing the comedy of nearly daily humiliation that students take for granted as they try to run the "marathon" of their first clinical year with blinders on, steven hatch provides readers with a firsthand account of not-quite-doctors running amok, trying to figure out if they learned anything at all during their first two years of school.

ever thought about how medical schools take students who are ruthless experts at filling in correct answers on science tests and turn them into caregivers? ever wonder what it felt like for your boss to refer to you as a "turd" in front of your coworkers? want to know how a medical staff calmly handles a potentially homicidally intoxicated man who suddenly decides he does not want to go through detox-after he's already been admitted? ever pondered if it was even remotely possible to appear competent after dropping a ten-pound ovarian tumor on an operating room floor?

if so, this is your book.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.