What can I do during my 3rd gap year to improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted855460

I was really trying to apply during the 2024 cycle, but I think right now is just not a good time. I already finished writing my personal statement and got my LORs, input courses, etc... but.. Not only was my MCAT prep absolutely disorganized, but I also had to deal with a 3-month-long personal situation, so that took a lot out of me. So now, I guess I will hopefully (only) be taking 5 gap years, instead of 4. I truly wanted to get back to school but it is what it is.

Below are my stats/EC details/etc. I would appreciate advice on how to become a stronger applicant for the 2025 cycle. Currently not working b/c I needed to study for MCAT full time.

Personal details:
  • State of residence: CA.
  • Parent as physician: Yes, one of them
  • ORM (Asian)
Undergraduate:
  • Graduated: 2020, Biology Major
  • sGPA as of May 2020: 3.31 (downward trend or no change in sGPA for 6 straight semesters, mostly B's with the one C+ from Genetics and a B- from Chem. I started improving my grades during senior year, so Fall 2019 was a 3.6 and Spring 2020 was a 3.7 or 3.8 - I do not remember 100%).
  • cGPA as of May 2020: 3.51
DIY Post Bacc (Extension school, 2020-2022)
  • sGPA: 3.79 -- I primarily took courses at two schools
Overall GPA: sGPA 3.49, cGPA 3.61 if I am calculating correctly.

MCAT: Pending 6/29, but most recent FL was 510 (505 --> 508 --> 510), which is the main reason why I decided today not to apply. I feel like I can do better & develop better studying habits thru preparing for the MCAT. My goal is a 515.

Extracurriculars:
  • Clinical, Paid: I've worked about 2k hours across 3 clinics in med assistant/scribe positions.
  • Nonclinical, Paid: Administrative positions in outpatient clinics, probably 1k hours across 2 clinics. It's hard to tell because my roles were very much a mix of clinical and nonclinical.
  • Research: I have about 1600 hours from my research job and 400 hours from undergrad volunteering. No publications.
  • NonClinical Volunteering: I think about 150-200 hours? I did a lot of cello teaching as volunteer work.
  • Clinical Volunteering: About 150 hours, hospital volunteering and free health clinic volunteering
  • Shadowing: I'd like to say I have about 50 hours shadowing minimum from scribing for two physicians, but technically, I've only got 3 hours recorded (from undergrad)
  • Other: Random nonclinical paid jobs and hobbies, like cello/music stuff
Things I am worried about: Mostly grades related
  • I withdrew from Genetics in my sophomore year and retook it, ending up with a C+. Clearly not good.
  • I withdrew from a Medical Spanish course at a local community college in Fall 2021. My parent's clinic was not faring well with regards to staffing, and I could not show up at the class time consistently anymore. I'm pretty sure I had an A prior to withdrawing. Hindsight 20/20, definitely should have not done this. I very stupidly did not realize that I'd have to report this on AMCAS until 30 min later. But what's done is done.
  • Generally overall poor DIY-post bacc and poor undergrad performance. The lowest grade I got in my DIY post bacc was a B+ but from my understanding I needed to aim for A- minimum, which I failed to do so.
    • Took Physics 2 during the summer (post-bacc) --> I've heard that prereqs over the summer are no good?
  • Took Chem2 during the summer (undergrad)
  • Weak volunteering hours - I'd want to improve upon this, but also I need a paying job...
I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, your course concerns are unfounded and are not going to be a big deal. What's on your transcript is there.

Yes, maybe you have weak non-clinical volunteering. Tell us more what you did and how many hours. You need activities that better demonstrate your service orientation is independent of your clinical motivation, and the more you show your ability to stretch beyond your comfort zone, the better.

Nail that MCAT though.

IMO, your course concerns are unfounded and are not going to be a big deal. What's on your transcript is there.

Yes, maybe you have weak non-clinical volunteering. Tell us more what you did and how many hours. You need activities that better demonstrate your service orientation is independent of your clinical motivation, and the more you show your ability to stretch beyond your comfort zone, the better.

Nail that MCAT though.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Most of my hours are from cello teaching.
  • free health clinic: 50 hrs. Basically took vitals for patients, input demographic data into EHR.
  • cello teacher (undergrad): I provided free lessons for 2 semesters to a local student, probably 80 hrs across 2 semesters
  • cello teacher (after college): Taught cello to 2 students for 9 months via local music organization, approx 80 hours
  • Hospital volunteering (summer entering senior year): approx 100 hours. mostly guiding people around the hospital since it is a large academic center & transporting specimens