3rd year medical student volunteering at sports event: what am I allowed to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thumpar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in volunteering at a local amateur MMA event as a 3rd year medical student. I do have an active Advanced EMT certification, but obviously I don't have my own medical license. Can I do anything medical related for this promotion? I absolutely do not want to anything that is outside my scope as a student, but what can students actually do in an event like this? If there was a physician there who agreed to oversee what I was doing would that change what I could do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in volunteering at a local amateur MMA event as a 3rd year medical student. I do have an active Advanced EMT certification, but obviously I don't have my own medical license. Can I do anything medical related for this promotion? I absolutely do not want to anything that is outside my scope as a student, but what can students actually do in an event like this? If there was a physician there who agreed to oversee what I was doing would that change what I could do?
You show up, stand where you are told and do what you’re told to do. Act appreciative, ask a question when it’s appropriate and don’t get in the way

Reactions: 1 users
Its nice if you have a sense of how the sport works, since you are probably going to be spectating to a degree with the doc, but be chill as states above

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a complicated question. If you are planning to volunteer by yourself without an overseeing physician then I would assume you would be acting like a good samaritan for emergency prehospital care, cspine or cpr. If you have an overseeing physician you would be able to do whatever that doc is comfortable with you doing. Also, that physician would need to make sure they have liability coverage for themselves at the event. Then if you get through that maze, you then need to figure out how to obtain supplies. Also, who is in charge of emergency action plans and making sure emergency personnel are on site for transport? Pandoras box dude.

I have med students come with me to games all the time. Their role is to observe.