3rd year student interested in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. G

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 3rd year osteopathic student doing my clinical rotations. The time is approaching for me to start picking my 4th year rotations. I am interested in PM&R and was wondering if anyone could give me advice with regards to how to showcase myself to hospitals with PM&R residency programs. I live in new jersey and I was wondering what the opportunities are for the residency within the NJ/NY area for osteopathic students. Do I have to take the USMLE step 2? What are the "DO friendly" hospitals with a PM&R residency program?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There are many possibilities, but I know of DO students rotating through:

Jefferson, Temple, UPEnn, UMDNJ-NJ Med (Kessler) & Cornell/Columbia.

As far as USMLE, all accept COMLEX, but I don't think it would hurt. You don't need a step II of any kind just to get a rotation.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I also know of DO students rotating through RIC (Northwestern's program) and Sinai-UMaryland.

Having DOs as residents doesn't mean that you can rotate through as a student. School policy v. department policy. UPitt and UVA both will not allow DO students to rotate through, but actively recruit DO residents.

excuse my ignorance,
but can someone please explain to me what exactly 'physical medicine' is?
thanx
EMW:)

I'm having difficulty fiding statistics on PM&R.It seems interesting but I don't know much about the salary or hours.I've heard the residency is pretty light but what's the competition,outlook,salary,etc. like ?