PM&R Intern year in Fam Med or Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedood

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if someone has already asked this and I just missed it. The AAPM&R website says you can do your intern year in programs other than IM (Surg, Fam med, Peds). I'm a third year med student specifically interested in doing my intern year in Peds because I'm considering a Peds fellowship after PM&R residency (assuming all goes according to plan lol). Can anyone comment on a non-IM intern year prior to advanced PM&R Residencies? The good & bad? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if someone has already asked this and I just missed it. The AAPM&R website says you can do your intern year in programs other than IM (Surg, Fam med, Peds). I'm a third year med student specifically interested in doing my intern year in Peds because I'm considering a Peds fellowship after PM&R residency (assuming all goes according to plan lol). Can anyone comment on a non-IM intern year prior to advanced PM&R Residencies? The good & bad? Thanks!
The purpose of your PGY-1 year is to prepare you for your PGY-2 year. I’m not sure that happens with a Peds internship, especially entering the more medicine heavy PM&R programs. You might do two months of Peds your entire three years of PM&R. I’m pretty sure you have plenty enough time to learn Peds during a two year fellowship.

You have to follow ACGME guidelines for your preliminary year and get accepted to the position you want. Also confirm that your categorical program will accept it.

Most people do PM or TY because there are plenty of programs to choose from and is widely accepted. However, It can be very competitive. Preliminary surgery as well, but typically is a lot more work and stress. Going pediatrics will significantly limit your choices for prelim as much smaller. I have no idea on the competitiveness of those programs, but you should make sure you are competitive and have a back-up plan. You will also be expected to be able to take care of adults when starting your PGY-2 PMR program.

I did 4+ months peds during PMR residency with rotations and call. Some programs you will do more than others. But I wouldn't really think a Peds preliminary program is going to make you all that more knowledgeable 5 years later after you finally finish residency + fellowship. Especially when your scope of practice does not include general pediatrics.

Going peds PM&R takes a special person. You spend 2 extra years in training and end up generally making less money and potentially working more hours. Parents can be difficult to deal with and can expect perfection medicine for their kids. Depending on where you work you may have still have to see adult patients as well.

Or you could do a 1 year pain fellowship and retire 15 years earlier on the beach. Or just do adult general and make more money. You’re not going to see a lot of us on here recommend a peds fellowship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a co-resident who did peds prelim then PM&R. It was tougher for her to adjust to taking care of adults (adult medication doses, etc.), but she caught on quickly.

Obviously the bulk of PM&R residency is adults, but if you go to a program with good peds exposure/lots of electives that would be ideal. Some programs you can do 6 months or more of peds between required rotations and electives.

Quite a lot of peds physiatrists don't do a ped residency because it's another two years--while I don't know that many peds physiatrists, I know a few that did just the peds prelim/PM&R residency with peds rotations. Even academic physiatrists and middle-tier academic programs have done this. Many places are so desperate for peds physiatrists that they really don't care if you're fellowship-trained anymore.

There was talk of opening peds PM&R fellowships to peds residents--did that ever get anywhere?

Thank you everyone, super helpful!

Reactions: 1 user